Want to learn about data for an Excel chart? Then, this is the right place for you. In this article, you will learn about how to select data for a chart or add, change, edit, format, sort, extract or remove data from an existing chart. Here, you will also find some relevant articles describing how to work with dates in Excel charts or solve issues related to charts.
Excel charts are used for data analysis, reporting, and visual representation purposes. It helps to effectively manipulate and present data in chart form.
Download Excel Workbook
What Is a Chart in Excel?
A chart in Excel is a visual way to represent data from a worksheet. It helps you understand trends, compare data, identify patterns, and gain insights by presenting information in a graphical format like bar graphs, line graphs, or pie charts.
How to Add Chart in Excel
Here, we have a dataset containing the number of Laptops and Smartphones sold in the first 6 months of a company. Now, we will add a chart in Excel using this dataset.
- Select your dataset >> go to the Insert tab >> click on Insert Column Chart button >> select a chart from there.
- Next, you can change the Chart Title by just typing your desired title and will get a chart like below.
How to Select Data for Excel Chart
To change the data range or select data for a blank Excel Chart follow the steps given below. Here, we will change the data series by switching rows and columns.
- Select your chart and right-click on it.
- Then, click on the Select Data option.
- Now, click on the Switch Row/Column option and click on OK.
- Thus, you can select data for Excel charts.
How to Add, Edit, Move and Remove Data Series in Excel Chart
To add, edit, move or remove data series from an existing chart, you will have to open the Select Data Source box by selecting your chart >> right-clicking on it >> selecting Select Data option. After opening the Select Data Source window, you can use the following methods.
1. Add Data Series to Existing Chart
- If you want to add a new data series to your existing chart, click on the Add button in Select Data Source Box.
- Then, insert the Series name and values in the Edit Series box and click on OK.
- Thus, a new data series will be added to your existing chart.
2. Rename Data Series
In case, you want to rename or edit an existing data series, select that data series >> click on the Edit button.
- Here, we will change the Series name from Smartphones to iPhone and then click on OK.
3. Reorder Data Series in Existing Chart
You can also reorder data series in an existing chart using the Select Data Source box.
- Select the data series you want to reorder >> click on the Move Up or Move Down button according to your need >> click on OK.
Read More: How to Sort Data in Excel Chart
4. Remove Data series in Chart
To remove a data series from your chart, select that data series in the Select Data Source box >> click on the Remove button >> click on OK.
How to Format Data Series in Excel Chart
Sometimes you may want to have only black and white or a specific format of data series in Excel charts. To do that follow the steps given below.
- Firstly, select the data series in the chart by clicking on any data point of that series.
- It will open the Format Data Series toolbox. You can format your data series from here according to your wish.
- We will go to the Fill options >> select Pattern Fill option >> select a pattern from there.
- Similarly, we will Solid Fill for another series.
Read More: How to Format Data Table in Excel Chart
How to Show Hidden Data in Excel Chart
Sometimes, you may want to hide some data in your worksheet but want to show them in the chart. However, when data is hidden from the worksheet, Excel automatically removes them from the chart.
- To show hidden data in a chart, open the Select Data Source box >> click on the Hidden and Empty Cells button.
- Then, turn on the Show data in hidden rows and columns option >> click on OK.
Read More: How to Hide Chart Data in Excel
Things to Remember
When creating your Excel chart remember to check data accuracy and try to maintain data consistency during modifications.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the most popular Excel chart types?
The most popular Excel chart types are- Line chart, Clustered column chart, Combination chart, Stacked column chart, 100% stacked column chart, Stacked area chart, Bar chart, Pie chart, Number chart, Histogram, Bullet chart, Venn diagram etc.
2. How to select the best Excel chart?
To select the best Excel chart for your data you should keep the following facts on your mind.
- Make sense when visualizing data.
- Classify data
- Find relationship among data
- Understand the composition, distribution and overlapping of data
- Find patterns and trends
- Find outliers in data
- Predict future trends
- Help to create meaningful stories for decision-makers
3. Which chart to avoid for reporting purposes?
The chart types you should avoid for reporting purposes are:
- Waterfall chart
- Radar chart
- Bubble chart
This article provides a comprehensive guide on selecting, manipulating, and formatting data in Excel charts, along with addressing common problems and providing solutions. Hope you find this helpful and informative. Feel free to comment if something seems difficult to understand. Thank you!