Microsoft Excel is a powerful software. We can perform numerous tasks on our datasets using Excel tools and features. There are many default Excel Functions that we can use to create formulas. Many educational institutions and business companies use excel files to store valuable data. Sometimes, we have to carry out mathematical or statistical operations in excel worksheets. In such cases, the Percentage is very common and we have to face and deal with it. A percentage is usually expressed with a % sign. This article will show you 2 easy ways to show One Number as a Percentage of Another in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following workbook to practice by yourself.
2 Easy Ways to Show One Number as a Percentage of Another in Excel
The Percentage is a Latin word. It means by a hundred. Any number or ratio that we can express as a fraction of 100 is known as a percentage. We can show a number as a percentage in reference to another number, or a total of the numbers. It varies on the user’s requirements. The simple formula to calculate the percentage is
To illustrate, we’ll use a sample dataset. For instance, the following dataset contains Products, Ordered, and Delivered numbers. Here, we’ll represent the Delivered numbers as a percentage of Ordered.
1. Show One Number as a Percentage of Another with Simple Calculation in Excel
In our first method, we’ll create a formula using the procedure demonstrated above. We won’t get to see the % icon in this example, as we’ll directly bring out the percentage value as the formula output. Therefore, follow the steps below to perform the task.
- First, select cell E5.
- Then, type the formula:
- Subsequently, press Enter.
- Thus, it’ll return the output.
- Now, use AutoFill to get the results in the subsequent cells.
- See the picture below where we have the required percentage values.
Read More: How to Apply Percentage Formula for Multiple Cells in Excel (5 Methods)
2. Apply Percentage Number Format in Excel for Showing One Number as a Percentage of Another
Moreover, we can ignore the multiplication by 100 portions in the formula to convert it to a percentage. In that case, we have to use the percentage number format. That will automatically transform the formula output to a percent. So, learn the following steps to carry out the operation.
- Firstly, click cell E5.
- Here, input the formula:
- After that, press Enter.
- Subsequently, apply AutoFill to fill in the rest.
- Next, select the cell range D5:D9.
- Consequently, go to the Number section in the Home tab.
- There, choose the Percentage number format.
- Hence, you’ll see the accurate percentage outputs.
- Look at the figure below where the results are similar to our 1st method.
Read More: How to Calculate Growth Percentage Formula in Excel
Apply Formula for Percentage Increase in Excel
However, we may need to determine the percentage increase in many cases. This is mostly found in the year-wise sales of a certain product. Every company requires to find out the precise percentage change in their sales. In that way, they can take the necessary steps to improve if necessary. To illustrate, we’ll use the following dataset, which contains the Sales in 2020 & 2021 of some Products. Now, follow the below process to apply a formula for determining the percentage increase in Excel.
- First of all, choose cell E5.
- Insert the formula:
- Then, press Enter.
- Afterward, apply AutoFill.
- Subsequently, change the number format of the range D5:D9 to Percentage.
- Thus, you’ll see the value of a percentage increase in sales from 2020 to 2021.
- Here, notice that some of the amounts are negative numbers.
- This is because the sales got decreased for those products in 2021.
Read More: Percentage Formula in Excel (6 Examples)
Get Percentage of Total in Excel
Again, you can also calculate the percentage of a number to the total value. In this regard, you will need to find the total first. For this example, we’ll use the below dataset as an example. So, learn the following process to carry out the operation.
- Select cell C10 first.
- Then, type the formula:
- Press Enter.
- The SUM function finds the total.
- Next, choose cell D5.
- Insert the formula:
- After that, press Enter to get the output.
- Choose the Percentage number format to convert the results into percent.
- Accordingly, use AutoFill to complete the rest.
- Thus, it’ll express the ordered amounts in percent of the total.
Read More: How to Calculate Total Percentage in Excel (5 Ways)
Henceforth, you will be able to show One Number as a Percentage of Another in Excel using the above-described methods. Keep using them and let us know if you have more ways to do the task. Follow the ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.
- Calculate Percentage Using Absolute Cell Reference in Excel (4 Methods)
- How to Calculate Average Percentage in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
- Use Excel Formula to Calculate Percentage of Grand Total
- Calculate Percentage Difference Between Two Numbers in Excel
- How to Add 10 Percent to a Number in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- Calculate Cumulative Percentage in Excel (6 Easy Methods)
- How to Use IF and Percentage Formula in Excel (2 Easy Ways)