In this article, we will learn to convert a percentage to a number in Excel. Sometimes, we need to change the percentage formatting in number formatting for our desired output. In an excel worksheet, we can easily show a percentage in a number format. Here, we will demonstrate 5 easy and quick ways to convert a percentage to a number in excel.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book.
What is Percentage?
In simple language, a percentage is a number or a ratio expressed as a fraction of 100. It is denoted by the percent (%) sign. Suppose, there are 300 students in a class, and 150 of them are male. If we divide the male students by the total number of students and multiply it by 100, then we will get 50%. It means there are 50% (fifty percent) male students or the percentage of male students is 50.
5 Methods to Convert Percentage to Number in Excel
1. Convert Percentage to Number from the Home Tab
In excel, we can convert any percentage to a number using the Home tab. To explain this method, we will use a dataset that contains the information of sales amount of two months of some sellers. The amount of increase concerning the second month is calculated in Column E and shown in percentage. We will try to convert these percentages to numbers here.
Let’s follow the steps to learn more.
- In the first place, select the cell you want to convert to a number. We have selected Cell E6 here.
- Secondly, go to the Home tab and select the ‘Percentage’. A drop-down menu will occur.
- Thirdly, select Number from there.
- After that, the selected percentage will convert into a number like below.
- Finally, use the Fill Handle to convert the other percentages.
- To show the decimal numbers like the percentage values, just multiply the cell formula or the cell by 100.
Here, we used this formula to calculate the ratio of the increase. And then, we have multiplied it by 100.
- Hit Enter to see the result.
- Again, use the Fill Handle to see results in all cells.
Read more: How to Convert Scientific Notation to Number in Excel
2. Use Format Cells Window to Change Percentage to Number
We can also use the ‘Format Cells’ window to change a percentage to a number in excel. We will use the same dataset here. Let’s observe the steps below to know this method.
- In the beginning, select the cells you want to convert to numbers. We have selected Cell E6 to Cell E11.
- Now, go to the Home tab and select the Number dialog icon like below. The ‘Format Cells’ window will appear.
- Similarly, you can also right-click the mouse and then select Format Cells to open the window.
- Then, select ‘Number’ and change ‘Decimal places’ to 2.
- Finally, click OK to see results like below.
3. Convert Percentage to Number with Excel Custom Formatting
Custom formatting is another way to convert percentages to numbers. It is also quick and gives various opportunities to display the results. For this method, we will again use the same dataset.
Follow the steps below to learn this technique.
- Firstly, select the range of cells you want to convert to numbers. We have selected Cell E5 to Cell E11 here.
- Now, open the ‘Format Cells’ window using the ‘Number’ dialog icon like Method-1.
- After that, select ‘Number’ and then, select ‘Custom’.
- Then, write 00 in the Type field.
- Finally, click OK to see results like below.
- Moreover, you can also show the output to four decimal points. To do that, write 0.0000 in place of 0.00.
- Click OK to see results like below.
- Convert Date to Number in Excel (4 Methods)
- How to Bulk Convert Text to Number in Excel (6 Ways)
- Convert Text to Number with Excel VBA (3 Examples with Macros)
- How to Fix Convert to Number Error in Excel (6 Methods)
4. Apply Formula to Convert Percentage to Number in Excel
Applying formula in cells makes our task very easy in excel. We can apply a formula to convert the percentages to numbers. For that, we will take the help of the NUMBERVALUE Function. The NUMBERVALUE Function converts a number or percentage in text format to a numeric value. Here, we will use the same dataset but we need to create an extra column to apply the formula. Let’s follow the steps to know more about this method.
- First, select Cell F6.
- Second, type the formula:
- Thirdly, hit Enter and drag the Fill Handle down to see the results.
- Now, you can use the ‘Format Cells’ to show only four decimals after a point.
- Then, to make the value of the numbers equal to the percentages, multiply the cells by 100.
- Finally, you can see the results below.
- Furthermore, use the Fill Handle to see results in all cells.
5. Use of ‘Copy & Paste Values’ to Convert Percentage to Number in Excel
In this method, we will use the ‘Copy & Paste Values’ feature of excel. We will again add an extra column here.
Follow the steps to learn this technique.
- At first, select the cells you need to convert. We have selected Cell E6 to Cell E11.
- Now, we need to copy them. To copy, you can press Ctrl + C from the keyboard.
- Then, select the first cell of the Helper Column and Paste Values like below.
- After that, you will see results like below.
- Finally, use the ‘Format Cells’ window to display numbers to four decimal places.
Things To Remember
There is an important thing you need to remember while converting percentages to numbers. When you are using the ‘Copy & Paste Values’ method, make sure the Helper Column is in General format.
We have demonstrated five quick and easy ways to convert a percentage to a number in excel. We have also discussed percentages at the beginning. I hope these methods will help you to convert percentages into numbers very easily. You can also download the practice book to exercise. Last of all, if you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to ask in the comment section.