While working with Microsoft Excel, we may use a data table in a chart to analyze data conveniently. Additionally, if the reader wants to know the precious meaning of the information in addition to a graphical depiction, data tables may be quite helpful. Data tables are often included underneath an Excel chart. With the legend key in the data table, we may identify the information quickly. In this article, we will demonstrate step-by-step procedures to add a data table with legend keys in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with them.
What Is Legend Key in Excel?
The many groupings of information on the chart are identified by legends. Statistics for the chart’s components are provided in tables. Tables or legends may be present in certain graphs. When identifying data in representations by its color, shape, or other identifying characteristics, we utilize the legend key. An individual colored or textured marking in the legend serves as a legend key. Each legend key has a label to the right of it that describes the information it represents.
Step-by-Step Procedures to Add Data Table with Legend Keys in Excel
A legend is a visual depiction of Legend Keys that are connected to the graph’s data table. And are displayed on the plotting region of the chart or graph. It could display by defaults on the right or bottom of the graph. Series and Categories are used to arrange the data in a graphic. You can view the categories and series by selecting the chart and selecting the filter option. To set it out from the other legend keys, each legend key will stand for a distinct hue. Let’s follow the steps to add a data table with Legend Keys in Excel.
Step 1: Create Dataset
To add a data table with a legend key, first, we need to have a dataset. As we know, the datasets are the continuous cell range holding data for analysis. We are going to create a dataset of a company’s total unit sales and the total amount of each month’s sales.
- Firstly, we will put months in column B. In our case, we will record only from January to June in our dataset.
- Secondly, input the unit sale of each month in column C.
- Thirdly, put the total amount of sales in each month in column D.
Step 2: Insert Chart
To add a data table, we must insert a chart where we attach the legend keys in the data table. A chart can provide a sharper view of a set of data values.
- In the first place, select the data range which you want to visualize with a graph. In our case, we will select the whole range of data B4:D10.
- Then, go to the Insert tab from the ribbon.
- After that, in the Charts category, click on the Insert Combo Chart drop-down menu.
- Further, Choose the second combo chart which is the Clustered Column – Line on Secondary Axis.
- This will display the combination of the bar and line chart of sales.
Step 3: Add Data Table with Legend Keys
Now, in the final step, we will add a data table with legend keys. The chart we have just created must be selected while doing this step.
- While selecting the chart by clicking on it, the Chart Design tab will appear in the ribbon.
- To begin with, go to the Chart Design from the ribbon.
- From the Chart Layout category, click on the Add Chart Element drop-down menu.
- Consequently, click on the Data Table drop-down option.
- Further, select the second option which is With Legend Keys.
Note: You can also do this work from the Chart Element option, which will appear on the right side of the chart after clicking on the blank space of the chart.
This is the final output of the chart after adding the data table with legend keys.
How to Change Position of Legend in Excel
We can change the position of the legends. To do this, let’s follow the steps down.
- Firstly, click the blank space on your chart with the cursor. Ensure that the chart’s blank space is where you click. The chart editing capabilities are active after the frame around the chart appears.
- Thus, the Chart Elements button will appear next to the chart’s top right corner. The button has a plus sign appearance.
- There are a number of options to edit the chart. Click on the Legend drop-down option and select your required position of the legend. In our case, we select the Top position.
- Alternatively, you can change the position of the legend from the Format Legend window. This window will appear while selecting the chart dialog.
- To use this window, go to the Legend Option and then select the required position of the legend.
- And that’s it!
How to Remove Legend in Excel
We also are able to remove the legend from the chart. To do this again follow the quick procedures.
- Likewise the previous section of the article, first we need to open the Chart Element option. For this, click on the blank space on your chart by clicking with the mouse.
- Thus, this will display the Chart Element option with a plus (+) sign.
- Further, uncheck the Legend option from there.
- Finally, the legend keys will disappear.
Things to Keep in Mind
- By selecting the context menu and changing the series name, you may adjust the names of the legend keys.
- The legend is the text that appears on the excel graph plotting region.
The above methods will assist you to Add a Data Table with Legend Keys in Excel. Hope this will help you! Please let us know in the comment section if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback. Or you can glance at our other articles in the ExcelDemy.com blog!