This article is all about determining the sum of numeric values to the end of a column in Excel. We can perform this using different functions and other features of MS Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
8 Easy Methods to Sum to End of Column in Excel
We will just determine the sum of a column up to the bottom in Excel. We have taken a dataset that shows the sales of a store for the month of January.
1. Sum Entire Column in Excel
Now, we will apply the SUM function throughout the entire column.
- First, named a Cell E4 as the Total.
- Now, go to Cell E5 and put the following formula.
- Hit the ENTER key to get the result.
We successfully get the dum of the entire Column C.
2. Formula to Sum Multiple Columns
We will form a formula to sum multiple columns in Excel. We have data in Columns C and D and we want to get the sum of those columns.
- Go to Cell F4 and put the following formula.
- Now, press the ENTER key.
Finally, we get the sum of those adjacent columns.
3. Sum Non-Contiguous Columns at Once
We want to determine the sum of the multiple non-contiguous columns in Excel. For that, we need to apply the SUM function multiple times. For each column, one SUM function will be added to the formula. Here, we have data in Columns C, D, and E. We will determine the sum of Columns C and E.
- Put the following formula on Cell G4.
- Press the ENTER key and get the result.
We can apply another formula and will get the same result. The formula is:
One of the advantages of using the formula is that we don’t need to use the SUM function multiple times.
4. Sum Entire Column to End without Header
We want to get the sum of the entire column without the header. In our dataset, we have a header in the 3rd row. As we want to get the sum of the entire column, we need to sum the last cell of that column. We know that an Excel worksheet contains a maximum of 1,048,576 rows in each column. Follow the steps below:
- Put the following formula that starts from Cell C5.
- Get the result by hitting the ENTER key.
Now, get the sum of the entire column without the header.
Read More: How to Sum Rows in Excel (9 Easy Methods)
- How to Sum Only Positive Numbers in Excel (4 Simple Ways)
- Calculate Cumulative Sum in Excel (9 Methods)
- How to Calculate Sum of Squares in Excel (6 Quick Tricks)
- Sum Between Two Numbers Formula in Excel
5. Use Excel AutoSum Feature
- Select all the cells of Column C.
- Then, choose the AutoSum group from the Formulas tab.
- Look at the dataset now.
Here, we can see the sum is showing in the adjacent cell.
We apply another keyboard shortcut for AutoSum. Press Alt+ = and the AutoSum will apply.
Read More: How to Sum by Group in Excel (4 Methods)
6. Find the Sum of a Column at the Status Bar of Excel
This is the simplest way to get the sum of a column to the end. Look at the steps below.
- Now, choose Cells C4 to C11 of the dataset.
Now, look at the bottom of the sheet. We get the sum here. This sum value is for the selected cells. But we want to get the sum for the end of Column C.
- Now, press the SHIFT+CTRL+ Down Arrow keys. This selects cells from our starting point to the last cell of the column.
We get the sum for the entire column at the bottom section of the sheet.
7. Use Excel SUBTOTAL Function
We will use the SUBTOTAL function to get the sum of a column. The SUBTOTAL function can perform lots of operations. But we will select option 9, which performs the sum operation.
The SUBTOTAL function returns a subtotal in a list or database.
- Put the formula based on the SUBTOTAL function on Cell E4.
The 1st argument of the formula is 9, which indicates the performing sum function.
- After that, press the ENTER key to get the result.
8. Use the Table Feature
The Table is an amazing feature of Excel. We can get the sum of the column using this Table feature. Rather than the sum, it also offers other functions.
- First, form a table. Select the cells of Column C.
- Then, press CTRL+T.
- The Create Table window will appear.
- Mark the My table has headers option.
The table has formed already.
- Now, go to the Table Design tab.
- Choose the Total Row option from the Table Style Options group.
We get the sum at the adjacent cell of our selection.
- We know that there are other options available with the Table feature. So, expand Cell C12.
We can see other options now.
In this article, we described how to get the sum to the end of a column in Excel. I hope this will satisfy your needs. Please have a look at our website ExcelDemy and give your suggestions in the comment box.