We are very used to sum to total term. When any individual buys a certain number of products from a shop and wants the bill, needs to sum up all the amounts. Or if any shop wants to get the total sale of a day needs to sum bills of each individual. But before that need to get all the bills in the same currency. Here, we are going to discuss the problem of currency sum not working in Excel and its solution with proper illustrations.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
How to Detect If Sum Is Not Working in Excel
First, we need to know the reason why the sum is not working in Excel. Suppose, we have the following dataset to get the sum.
- We apply the following SUM function on Cell C10.
- Then, press the Enter button and see the result.
What is this? The result is zero! This means the currency sum is not working. What would be the probable reason?
- Let’s check the data of Range C5:C9.
The COUNTA function checks the numbers of non-empty cells, and the COUNT function checks cells containing numbers only. Both of the functions count based on the given criteria.
We can see no cells contains numbers. They may be in text or other custom formats.
- To check the format of the data, go to the Number Format section of the Number group.
We can see the given data are in General format. Also, notice the formula bar. There is a leading apostrophe symbol at the start of the number. Because of this, an error is showing in each cell of the dataset. The status bar is also not showing the total, only counting the cells.
6 Suitable Solutions If Currency Sum Is Not Working in Excel
Solution 1: Use of Paste Special Multiplication to Convert Numbers in Proper Format
We will use the Paste Special to remove the error in the data. This will ultimately solve the problem of currency sum in Excel.
- Go to any blank cell of the dataset and insert 1.
We will use this 1 to multiply the given data. As we are using 1, the magnitude of the data will not change.
- Now, select the cell where we insert 1.
- Then, select the Copy option from the Clipboard group.
We can also use Ctrl+ C to copy data.
- Now, select Range C5:C9.
- Go to Paste from the Clipboard group.
- Now, select the Paste Special option.
Ctrl + Alt+ V is the keyboard shortcut for Paste Special.
- The Paste Special window appears.
- Mark Values from the Paste segment and Multiply from the Operation segment.
- Finally, press the OK button and look at the dataset.
We get the sum finally.
Read More: [Fixed] Excel COUNT Function Not Working
Solution 2: Use of Error Checking Option
In this section, we will correct the errors from the dataset manually.
- Click on Cell C5.
- We will see an error notification on the left side. Click on the down arrow.
- Choose the Convert to Number option.
- Look at the dataset.
We can see the error has been removed.
- Similarly, remove the errors of the rest of the data.
Finally, after removing all the errors, we get the sum successfully.
Read More: [Fixed!] Iterative Calculation Not Working in Excel
- [Fixed!] Excel Scrolling Too Many Rows (2 Easy Solutions)
- Flash Fill Not Recognizing Pattern in Excel (4 Causes with Fixes)
- [Solved]: Macro Settings Greyed out in Excel
- How to Truncate Numbers in Excel (8 Suitable Methods)
- [Fixed!] IF Function Is Not Working in Excel (4 Quick Solutions)
Solution 3: Use Text to Columns Wizard to Convert Numbers in Text to Number Format
We will use the Text to Columns feature to convert text to numbers to get the sum.
- First, select Range C5:C9.
- Select Text to Columns from the Data tab.
- 1st step of the Convert Text to Columns Wizard window appears.
- Mark the Delimited option, then click on the Next button.
- The 2nd step appears after that. Mark the Other Put the apostrophe(‘) symbol on the box.
- Again, click on the Next button.
- Choose the General option.
- Click on the Finish option lastly.
- Look at the dataset.
We get the currency sum successfully.
Read More: [Fixed!] Formulas Are Not Calculating Automatically in Excel
Solution 4: Use of Flash Fill Feature to Get Currency Sum Properly
In this section, we will use the Flash Fill feature to correct the errors to get the currency sum in Excel.
- First, we add a column on the right side.
- Insert the data of Cell C5 into Cell D5 manually.
- Select the Range D5:D9.
- Choose Flash Fill of the Data Tools group from the Data tab.
- Look at the dataset.
We can see all the errors have been corrected and get the sum. We can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + E to apply the Flash Fill.
Read More: [Fixed!] Auto Fill Options Not Showing in Excel
- [Fixed!] Macros Not Working in Excel (3 Possible Solutions)
- Splitting Text in Excel (8 Useful Applications)
- [Fixed!] Excel COUNTIF Function Not Working for String “True”
- Creating Email Addresses from a Single Column with Flash Fill, TEXT Formulas & Commentator’s Text Formula Suggestions
- [Fixed!] Excel Filter Stops at Blank Row (4 Possible Solutions)
Solution 5: Use Excel VALUE Function
The NUMBERVALUE function converts a text to number in a locale-independent manner.
In this section, we will apply the VALUE function to solve the errors to get the sum.
- Go to Cell D5 and put in the following formula.
- Press the Enter button and drag the Fill Handle icon.
We get the currency sum accurately. We can also use the NUMBERVALUE function instead of the VALUE function. And the formula will look like this:
Read More: [Solved] Excel Formatting Not Working Unless Double Click Cell
Solution 6: Use an Excel VBA Code to Get Currency Sum Correctly
Here, we will use VAB code to remove errors from the data and convert them to numbers.
- Go to the bottom of the worksheet containing the sheet name section.
- Press the right button of the mouse.
- Select the View Code option from the Context Menu.
- The VBA window appears.
- Choose the Module option from the Insert tab.
- Put the following VBA code on the module.
Sub Solve_Errors() Dim range_1 As Range On Error Resume Next Set range_1 = Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, 23) On Error GoTo errHandler If Not range_1 Is Nothing Then Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Offset(0, 1).Copy range_1.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlPasteSpecialOperationAdd Else MsgBox "No Constant Found" End If exitHandler: Application.CutCopyMode = False Set range_1 = Nothing Exit Sub errHandler: MsgBox "Change Not Possible" Resume exitHandler End Sub
- Select the Range C5:C9.
- Run the VBA code by pressing the F5 button.
We can see errors removed and get the currency sum.
Read More: [Fixed!] Merge Cells Button Is Greyed Out in Excel
In this article, we described how to remove errors from data in Excel and then solve the problem of the currency sum not working. I hope this will satisfy your needs. Please have a look at our website ExcelDemy and give your suggestions in the comment box.
- [Fixed] Excel Files That Are Macros Enabled But Not Working
- How to Turn Off Flash Fill in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- [Solved!]: COUNTIF Function Is Returning 0 in Excel (4 Solutions)
- [Solved!] Flash Fill Not Working in Excel (5 Reasons with Solutions)
- [Fixed!] Excel Hyperlink Is Not Redirecting Properly
- How to Use Flash Fill in Excel to Split Data (4 Quick Ways)
- [Fixed!]: Unable to Enable Macros in Excel (5 Quick Solutions)