While working in Excel, we often need to add numbers for various purposes. After creating a data set, you may feel to edit or add numbers within the existing range. Fortunately, this is really easy to achieve with the help of Microsoft Excel. Today I will show you how to add numbers in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You may download the following Excel workbook for better understanding and practice it by yourself.
5 Easy Ways to Add Numbers in Excel
This article will demonstrate how to add numbers in Excel by using the SUM function, applying the AutoSum feature, using the keyboard shortcut, and applying the Paste Special command. Here, we will show 5 ways with different criteria to add numbers in Excel. So, to know all the methods properly, you can follow the article accordingly.
Method 1: Using Keyboard Shortcut to Add Numbers in Excel
Our objective today is to add the sales of all the months to find out the year’s total sales value by using the keyboard shortcut.
- Here we’ve got a data set with the Month names and Sales of a company.
- Firstly, select the C18 cell.
- Then, hold on to the ALT + = sign.
- After that, you will see the following sum formula in the C18 cell.
- Therefore, hit Enter.
- Finally, you will get the total sales value.
Method 2: Applying SUM Function to Add Numbers in Excel
You can use the SUM function in Excel to add numbers. In this section, we will show you how to add numbers by using the SUM function in a range of cells.
- Firstly, select the C18 cell.
- Secondly, write down the following formula to add the total sales for all the months.
- Thirdly, press Enter.
- Lastly, you will get the total sales value.
Read More: How to Sum Range of Cells in Row Using Excel VBA (6 Easy Methods)
- How to Sum Multiple Rows and Columns in Excel
- [Fixed!] Excel SUM Formula Is Not Working and Returns 0 (3 Solutions)
- How to Sum Cells with Text and Numbers in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
- Shortcut for Sum in Excel (2 Quick Tricks)
- How to Add Specific Cells in Excel (5 Quick Ways)
Method 3: Utilizing AutoSum Feature to Add Numbers in Excel Row
You can use the AutoSum feature from the Excel Toolbar to add numbers in a column or a row.
- Firstly, To add numbers in a row, select the immediate cell below the numbers and go to Home > AutoSum tool in Excel Toolbar under the Editing section.
- Then, click on AutoSum.
- Finally, click on the Sum function.
- After that, you will see the following sum formula in the G5 cell.
- Then, press Enter.
- So, you will get the total for the 5th row.
- Besides, use the Fill Handle tool and drag it down from the G5 cell to the G16 cell.
- As a result, you will see the final output in the below image.
Method 4: Utilizing AutoSum Feature to Add Numbers in Excel Column
Here, we will show how to add numbers in a column by using the AutoSum feature from the Excel toolbar.
- Similarly, to add numbers in a row, click the C5 cell left to the numbers and go to Home > AutoSum tool in Excel Toolbar as we have described in Method 3.
- Then, It will generate the SUM function for you.
- After that, press Enter.
- So, you will get the total for the C column.
- Next, use the Fill Handle tool and drag it down from the C5 cell to the C17 cell.
- Finally, you will get the output in the below image
Read More: Excel Sum Last 5 Values in Row (Formula + VBA Code)
Method 5: Applying Paste Special Command to Add Numbers in an Existing Cell Value
The most popular way to add a number to an existing cell value in Excel is with this method. It is also among the methods that save the most time. The procedures are listed below. The same example is used here as well; we want to increase the sales value by $200.
- We must begin by writing 200 someplace on the page. In this instance, we have written in cell E5.
- After that, we need to press Ctrl + C to this value and select from C5 to C16 where we want to add the number.
- Then we will select Paste Special from the paste options in the Home tab in the Ribbon.
- Therefore, a dialog box will appear named Paste Special. We will select Add and then press Enter.
- Finally, we can see that all of the sales figures have been changed and raised by $200.
In this article, we’ve covered 5 Easy Ways to Add Numbers in Excel. We sincerely hope you enjoyed and learned a lot from this article. Additionally, if you want to read more articles on Excel, you may visit our website, Exceldemy. If you have any questions, comments, or recommendations, kindly leave them in the comment section below.