While working in Excel, we often are to add numbers for various purposes. Today I will be showing how to add numbers in Excel.
How to Add Numbers in Excel (Quick View)
Download Practice Workbook
How to Add Numbers in Excel
Here we’ve got a data set with the Month names and Sales of a company called Sunflower Group.
Our objective today is to add the sales of all the months to find out the total sales of the year.
1. Using the SUM Function
You can use the SUM function of Excel to add numbers in Excel. The syntax of the function is:
To add numbers in a range of cells, you can use:
Therefore, to add the total sales of all the months, the formula will be:
[Here C4:C15 is the range of my data (Sales). You use your one.]
2. Using Autosum Tool from Excel Toolbar
You can use the Autosum Tool from Excel Toolbar to add numbers in a column or a row.
- To add numbers in a column, select the immediate cell below the numbers and go to Home>Autosum tool in Excel Toolbar under the Editing section.
- Click on AutoSum. It will generate the SUM function for you.
- Similarly, to add numbers in a row, click the immediate cell left to the numbers and go to Home>AutoSum tool in Excel Toolbar.
- Then click AutoSum. It will generate the SUM function for you.
Using these methods, you can add numbers in Excel. Do you have any questions? Feel free to ask us.