Sometimes we need to organize a set of data in a single cell to decorate our data. Numbering in Excel in One cell may be a very effective skill to beautify and compact our data. In this article, I am going to explain 3 smart ways how to Number in Excel in One Cell. I hope it will be helpful for you and lessen your workload.
For more clarification, I am going to use a dataset where I have organized the club football legends in Team, Country, and Legends columns.
Download Practice Workbook
3 Smart Ways to Perform Numbering in One Cell in Excel
1. Using Keyboard Shortcut for Numbering in One Cell
The simplest way of numbering in one cell is to use the keyboard shortcut. You just need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Input the first name in the cell with numbering it. Here, I have input David Beckham’s name with numbering 1.
- Then, press ALT + ENTER to break the line.
- After that, write the next name with a sequential number.
- Similarly, add as many names as you need. Here, I have added just 3 names with numbers.
- Finally, press ENTER to finish writing in that cell.
- Repeat the above steps to complete your dataset.
Read More: How to Add Numbers 1 2 3 in Excel (2 Suitable Cases)
2. Using MS Word for Numbering in One Cell
We can also use another software as an assistant for numbering in one cell.
- Pick the cell where you want to input the numbering data. Here, I have picked cell D5 where I want to put 3 Manchester United legends’ names.
- Write the names with the required number in another software that you prefer for writing. I have used Microsoft Word software for this purpose.
- Then, copy the written information.
- Afterward, paste keeping the source formatting in the relevant cell.
Thus, we can number in one cell.
- Expand the row to make it clearly visible.
- Use the same procedure for the other cells too.
Note: Though I’ve used Microsoft Word here, you can use other writing software like Notepad.
Read More: How to Add Automatic Serial Number with Formula in Excel
- How to Create a Number Sequence with Text in Excel (5 Methods)
- Subtotal Formula in Excel for Serial Number (3 Suitable Examples)
- Auto Generate Serial Number in Excel VBA (4 Ways)
- How to Create a Number Sequence with Formula in Excel
- Create a Number Sequence in Excel Based on Criteria
3. Creating a Drop-down List for Numbering in Excel in One Cell
Drop-down List is another cool feature for numbering in one cell.
- Firstly, modify your dataset by putting numbers in front of the data. I have input the number in front of the legends name serially.
- Next, pick a cell to have the relevant numbered cells. Here, I picked cell D5.
- Go to the Data tab.
- Click on Data Tools from the ribbon.
- Then, click on the Data Validation option.
A Data Validation wizard will appear.
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Pick the List option in Allow box.
- After that, select the cells from the relevant worksheet in the Source box.
- Then, press OK.
Now, we will have a Drop-down option.
- Now, click on the Drop-down button.
- Select your preferred information.
The selected information with the number will be added.
- Follow the same procedure to complete the whole dataset.
Read More: How to Create a Number Sequence in Excel Without Dragging
For more expertise, you can practice here.
That’s all for the article. In this article, I have tried to explain 3 smart ways for Numbering in Excel in One Cell. It will be a matter of great pleasure for me if this article could help any Excel user even a little. For any further queries, comment below. You can visit our Exceldemy site for more details on Excel.