Microsoft Excel, by default, displays a horizontal and vertical scroll bar. It allows us to go through the spreadsheet and effortlessly scroll over the information on the screen. However, if you wouldn’t want the horizontal or vertical scroll bar, or perhaps both, enable or disable scroll bars as needed. In this article, we will demonstrate some effective and handy ways to remove the scroll bar in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with them.
3 Easy Ways to Remove Scroll Bar in Excel
To remove the scroll bar we are using the following dataset that contains some students’ IDs, their names, marks of each student, total marks, and the percentage they obtain. The bellowed screenshot shows the default horizontal and vertical scroll bar. In this post, we will learn to conceal scroll bars in Microsoft Excel with a simple change.
1. Remove Scroll Bar with Excel Options
The Excel program’s overall configurations are configured via the Excel Options window. We can remove the scroll bar with excel options. Let’s look at the procedures for this.
- Firstly, go to the File tab from the ribbon.
- Secondly, select Options from the backstage which is in the left-hand menu at the end of the list.
- This will open the Excel Options dialog box. The Excel Options dialog box has a list of setting groups on the left that you may choose to access the corresponding settings.
- Further, go to the Advanced menu.
- Now, scroll a bit down and you will see Display options for this workbook.
- From there, uncheck the boxes beside Show horizontal scroll bar and Show Vertical scroll bar.
- Furthermore, to close the Excel Options dialog box and save the settings, click on the OK button.
- Next, go back to the worksheet and you won’t be able to see the scroll bars now. Both scroll bars are now removed from the spreadsheet.
Read More: How to Adjust Scroll Bar in Excel (5 Effective Methods)
2. Excel VBA to Remove Scroll Bar
We can use Excel VBA to remove the scroll bar with just one click. With Excel VBA, users can easily use the code which acts as excel menus from the ribbon. To use Excel VBA to remove the scroll bar, let’s follow the steps down.
- Firstly, go to the Developer tab from the ribbon.
- Secondly, from the Code category, click on Visual Basic to open the Visual Basic Editor. Or press Alt + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.
- Instead of doing this, you can just right-click on your worksheet and go to View Code. This will also take you to Visual Basic Editor.
- This will appear in the Visual Basic Editor.
- Thirdly, click on Module from the Insert drop-down menu bar.
- This will create a Module in your workbook.
- And, copy and paste the VBA code shown below.
Private Sub Remove_Scroll_Bar() With ActiveWindow .DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = False .DisplayVerticalScrollBar = False End With End Sub
- After that, run the code by clicking on the RubSub button or pressing the keyboard shortcut F5.
- This will remove the scroll bars from your worksheet.
3. Extra Scroll Bar Removing with Excel Split Option
We may have an extra scroll bar because we split our spreadsheet for work. But after finishing the work we may need to remove the extra scroll bar in excel. We can easily do this by following the steps below.
- In the first place, go to the View tab from the ribbon.
- Then, under the Window category, click on Split.
- Alternatively, you can just double-click on the extra scroll bar to remove it.
- Finally, you can see that the extra scroll bar does not appear in the worksheet.
The above methods will assist you to Remove Scroll Bar in Excel. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback please let us know in the comment section. Or you can have a glance at our other articles in the ExcelDemy.com blog!
- [Fixed!] Vertical Scroll Bar Not Working in Excel (10 Possible Solutions)
- How to Add Scroll Bar in Excel Chart (Step by Step Guide)
- [Solved!] Scroll Bar Not Working in Excel (5 Easy Fixes)
- [Fixed!] Bottom Scroll Bar Missing in Excel (7 Possible Solutions)
- [Fixed!] Excel Horizontal Scroll Bar Not Working (8 Possible Solutions)