Sometimes, when we extract data from a text file, it might happen that we have extracted some unwanted plus signs. Now, it is required to remove these plus signs. In this article, I will show you 2 easy techniques to remove plus sign in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download and practice from our workbook here.
2 Easy Methods to Remove Plus Sign in Excel
In our dataset, we have two columns, the first one is the “Extracted Data” column, and the second one is the “Outcome” data column. Now, in the first column, there are 6 values with a plus sign. And, In the next column, we will keep the value without the plus sign. To accomplish this, follow any of the 2 suitable ways stated below.
1. Use the SUBSTITUTE Function
You can use the SUBSTITUTE function to remove plus sign in Excel.
The SUBSTITUTE function is an Excel function that replaces a particular character or word from a cell with a desired particular character or word.
SUBSTITUTE(text, old_text, new_text, [instance_num])
text: This argument represents the text or cell reference at which the substitution will take place.
old_text: This argument represents the old text which needs to be substituted.
New_text: This argument represents the new text which will substitute the old text.
Instance_num: This argument represents how many times the old text will be replaced with the new text. This is an optional argument, as this is closed with the third bracket. So, if you do not put value in this argument, still the function will work fine, but it will replace all old texts with new ones in that case.
Follow the steps below to do this. 👇
- At first, select the cell where you want to get your desired result. Then, write the following formula in the cell.
It will substitute all plus signs (+) of cell B5 cell with an empty value.
- Now, press the Enter button. Thus, you will get the value of cell B5 without any plus sign. Consequently, place your cursor to the bottom right position of your cell and drag the fill handle downward to copy the formula dynamically.
Finally, you will be able to remove the plus sign in Excel. And, the result will look like this. 👇
- How to Remove Pound Sign in Excel (8 Easy Methods)
- Remove Dollar Sign in Excel Formula (2 Easy Ways)
- How to Remove Percentage Symbol in Excel Without Changing Values
2. Use Find and Replace Tool to Remove Plus Sign in Excel
Moreover, you can use the Find and Replace tool to remove plus sign in Excel. Follow the steps below to accomplish this. 👇
- At first, copy your extracted data to remove plus sign from them in another column to keep a record of both of the data.
- Subsequently, paste the copied data into the Outcome column.
- Now, select all the cells that you want to remove plus sign from. At this time, go to the Home tab >> click on the Editing group >> click on the Find & Select tool >> click on the Replace… option.
- Now, the Find and Replace window will appear. Subsequently, put a plus sign (+) in the Find what: text box. And, leave the Replace with: text box blank. Consequently, click on the Replace All button.
Thus, you will be able to remove plus sign in Excel successfully. And, the result will look like this. 👇
To sum up, in this article, I have shown you the 2 most suitable and easiest ways to remove plus signs in Excel. Use any of these easy methods to accomplish your result in this regard. I hope you find this article helpful and informative. If you have any further queries or recommendations, please feel free to contact me. And, visit ExcelDemy for many more articles like this. Thank you!