There are a few quick ways to add multiple cells in Excel. Today we are going to learn how to use them with numerous techniques and formulas.
Download the following workbook and exercise.
6 Methods To Add Multiple Cells in Excel
1. Use AutoSum Feature to Add Multiple Cells
The easiest way to add multiple cells is using the AutoSum feature. By clicking the AutoSum, Excel automatically adds multiple cells by entering the SUM function. Suppose we have a table of people’s names and their working days.
Now we are going to add the total working days.
- First, click Cell C10.
- Then go to the Home tab.
- Next from the Editing group of commands, click on the AutoSum.
- In Cell C10, a formula appears and points to the cells we want to add.
- Hit Enter.
- Now the result is showing in the required cell.
We can also find the AutoSum from the Formulas tab. Formulas > AutoSum.
2. Apply Algebraic Sum to Add Multiple Cells
Let’s say we have a worksheet. It contains all the employee’s salaries. Now we are going to add simply all the salary cells to get the total salary in Cell C10.
- First, select Cell C10 and type the Equal (=) sign.
- Click on the first cell to add and type the Plus (+) sign.
- Now click on the second cell and repeat till all the cells add up.
- Finally, hit Enter and the total amount is showing in Cell C10.
3. Add Cells Using SUM Function
The SUM function is one of the most simple ways to add multiple cells in Excel easily.
- Type “=SUM(“ in Cell C10.
- Now we can manually input the data by using a comma for each.
Or by clicking and dragging data cells that contain values we want to add.
- After hitting the Enter, we can easily find the required result.
We can also find the SUM formula from the toolbar,
From Home > SUM
Or in Formulas > SUM
Read More: Shortcut for Sum in Excel (2 Quick Tricks)
- How to Add Numbers in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
- [Fixed!] Excel SUM Formula Is Not Working and Returns 0 (3 Solutions)
- How to Sum Cells with Text and Numbers in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
- Sum Cells in Excel: Continuous, Random, With Criteria, etc.
- How to Sum Multiple Rows and Columns in Excel
4. SUMIF Function to Add Up Cells with Condition in Excel
To add up the cells that meet certain criteria we can use the SUMIF function. Let’s say we have a worksheet with some random names of employees, their sales quantity, and the sales amount. Now we are going to add up the sales amount where the quantity is less than a certain number and the sales amount that are also less than a certain number.
- Click on cell C10
- Next type the formula:
Here the SUMIF function goes through the C column. If the criteria match then it will add up the matched data of column D.
- Hit Enter to see the added values on cell C10.
- Click on cell D10.
- Then write the formula
Here the SUMIF function goes through column D to find the data which matches certain criteria.
- Hit Enter for seeing the added values on cell D10.
5. Add Multiple Cells Together Containing Text in Excel
By using CONCATENATE function or Ampersand (&), we can add or join cells that contain text.
Let’s consider a worksheet containing text. We are going to add them.
- Select Cell D5 at first.
- Write the formula:
- Press Enter and the result is showing.
- Again select cell D6.
- Write the formula:
- Finally, press Enter, and the result is displayed in the following screenshot.
6. Add the Same Number to Multiple Cells in Excel
We are going to add the value in cell E4 in multiple cells containing salary values.
- Select Cell E4 and copy it.
- Now select the cells where we want to add the copied value.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+V.
- A dialogue box is showing.
- From the Paste section select Values and in the Operation section select Add.
- Click OK.
And we’ll get the resultant outputs as shown below.
Read More: How to Sum Columns in Excel (7 Methods)
These are the quickest way to add multiple cells in Excel. There is a practice workbook added. Go ahead and give it a try. Feel free to ask anything or suggest any new methods.
- How to Sum Colored Cells in Excel (4 Ways)
- Use VLOOKUP with SUM Function in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Sum Between Two Numbers Formula in Excel
- Sum If Cell Contains Specific Text in Excel (6 Ways)
- How to Sum a Column in Excel (6 Methods)
- Sum Range of Cells in Row Using Excel VBA (6 Easy Methods)
- How to Sum Values by Day in Excel (6 Methods)