This tutorial will demonstrate how to display the references dialog box in excel. When you are dealing with lots of VBA codes in a different worksheet in a certain workbook then it is very important to maintain references. Otherwise, you have to face difficulty to jump from one VBA code to another. In this, we use the references dialog box. So, it is very important to learn how to display the references dialog box in excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here.
What Is a Dialog Box?
A dialog box in VBA code is used to mark a certain program module with proper naming. Suppose, you are doing VBA codes of grading, odd/even, or coloring at the same time in a certain workbook, and in every worksheet, you have to use them differently. So, in that particular case, you have to name them properly using the reference box. Whenever you choose that certain reference box the VBA code within it will come on the screen.
Different Options of Dialog Box in Excel
The Reference Dialog Box in excel has different options. Among them, some are very important. So, we have to discuss these options. The description is.
- Available References: This portion makes the whole list of the available references that exist in your current workbook. Whenever you put a defined name for a certain module, you will see it here.
- Priority Buttons: These buttons are used to move the references to go upward and downward on the list. It is very important in case of lots references are used.
- Result: This portion displays certain pathways and names available in the references box.
- Browse: This portion adds more dialog boxes or libraries to the existing references.
Purposes of Dialog Box in Excel
The main purposes of using the reference dialog box are.
- It marks a certain VBA module with a certain defined name.
- With it, finding a certain VBA becomes very easy.
- It eases our work, and time and decreases the possibility of any mistake.
Step-by-Step Procedures to Display the References Dialog Box
If you follow the steps correctly, you should learn how to display the references dialog box in excel on your own. The steps are:
Step 1: Arranging Dataset
In this case, our goal is to arrange a dataset to play the references dialog box in excel. We have the Value in Column B and the Even/Odd in Column C. We will use this dataset to understand the whole process easier.
Read More: How to Create a Dialog Box in Excel (3 Useful Applications)
Step 2: Finding References in Excel VBA
We want to find the references in excel VBA by following the below steps.
- First, press the Alt + F11 options to open the VBA window.
- Second, go to the Insert > Module options.
- Third, insert the VBA code here.
Sub OddEven() Dim i As Integer For i = 5 To 11 If Cells(i, 2).Value Mod 2 = 0 Then Cells(i, 3).Value = "Even" Else Cells(i, 3).Value = "Odd" End If Next i End Sub
- Last, go to the Tools > References options.
Read More: How to Work with Dialog Box in Excel (Types and Operations)
Step 3: Displaying References in Excel VBA
Now, our target is to display the references dialog box in excel by following the below steps.
- To begin with, after pressing the References option you will see the References dialog box on your screen.
- In addition, if you tick the available references with the name then after that on the left side, it will show the list of the VBA window.
Read More: How to Close Dialog Box in Excel (3 Easy Ways)
Step 4: Utilizing Reference Dialog Box in Excel
At this point, our target is to utilize the references dialog box in excel by following the below steps.
- Firstly, tick the desired reference boxes and press OK.
- Secondly, if you click on a certain reference cell, it will show you the pathway of that reference.
- Thirdly, if you want to use it simply press the Run option.
- Lastly, you will get the desired result.
Read More: Dialog Box Launcher in Excel: All Types Explained
How to View Object Library in Excel
In this case, our target is to view the Object Library in excel by following the below steps.
- First, go to the Tools > References options.
- Second, select the Microsoft Excel 16.0 Object Library option and click OK.
- Last, you will get the desired result.
Things to Remember
- We should use more reference books but with desired names.
- When you are utilizing a certain reference dialog box, you can’t untick the Visual Basic Application option as you are using it.
- To run the codes, the file must be saved as Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook. Otherwise, codes won’t work.
Henceforth, follow the above-described methods. Hopefully, these methods will help you to display the references dialog box in excel. We will be glad to know if you can execute the task in any other way. Follow the ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Please feel free to add comments, suggestions, or questions in the section below if you have any confusion or face any problems. We will try our level best to solve the problem or work with your suggestions.