Utilizing functions in your spreadsheet is made simpler by the Insert Function dialog box. The dialog box offers information about the arguments that the function accepts, in addition to assisting you in identifying the appropriate function for the task at hand. This article will show you how to open the insert function dialog box in Excel.
How to Open the Insert Function Dialog Box in Excel: 3 Easy Ways
Excel has so many built-in functions that it can occasionally be difficult for the user to choose one by simply typing the function name in Excel. You can use the Excel insert function dialog box to discover the precise equation that you need. Here, in the following methods, you will find ways to open the Insert Function dialog box in Excel by using a Keyboard Shortcut, selecting the Insert Function command from the formulas tab, and clicking the Insert Function icon from the formula bar. Let’s suppose we have a sample data set like below image.
1. Using Keyboard Shortcuts to Open Insert Function Dialog Box
In this method, we will show you how to open the Insert Function dialog box using keyboard shortcuts.
- At the start of this section, click on the SHIFT+F3 first from the keyboard shortcuts.
- Then, the Insert Function dialog box will appear.
2. Selecting Insert Function Command from Formulas Tab
We insert functions, specify names, establish name ranges, and review formulas using the Formula tab. Let us see how to select the Insert Function command from the Formulas tab.
- First, go to the Formulas tab.
- Next, select the Insert Function command.
- You’ll then see the Insert Function dialog box appear.
3. Clicking Insert Function Icon from Formula Bar
The formula bar or formula box allows you to build and view formulas and displays the contents of the currently selected cell. Now, I will demonstrate how to open Insert Function by clicking the Insert Function icon from the formula bar.
- Firstly, click on the Insert Function Icon, which is directly left on the formula bar.
- The Insert Function dialog box will then show up.
Applying Function Argument for Product Formula
Here, we will apply the PRODUCT function by applying the Function Argument dialog box by opening the Insert Function Dialog Box in Excel.
- First, select the E5 cell.
- Next, click on the Insert Function to open the Insert Function dialog box.
- Then, choose the Product function option.
- Finally, click OK.
- Here, the Function Arguments box will open.
- First, select the C5 cell as Number1 for the first argument.
- Next, choose D5 as the second argument’s cell number.
- Then, click OK.
- Consequently, you will see the outcome of the total price in the E5 cell.
- Besides, use the Fill Handle tool and drag it down from the E5 cell to the E10 cell.
- Finally, you will find all the results of the total price for all the products available here.
Download Practice Workbook
You may download the following Excel workbook for better understanding and practice it by yourself.
In this article, we’ve covered 3 handy methods to open the insert function dialog box in Excel. We hope you learned a lot from this article. If you have any questions, comments, or recommendations, kindly leave them in the comment section below.