Utilizing functions in your spreadsheet is made simpler by the Insert Function dialog box. The dialog box offers information about the arguments that the function accepts in addition to assisting you in identifying the appropriate function for the task at hand. This article will show you how to open the insert function dialog box in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You may download the following Excel workbook for better understanding and practice it by yourself.
3 Easy Ways to Open the Insert Function Dialog Box in Excel
Excel has so many built-in functions that it can occasionally be difficult for the user to choose one by simply typing the function name in Excel. To discover the precise equation you need and the right inputs required for that function, use the Excel insert function dialog box. Here, in the following methods, you will find ways to open the Insert Function dialog box in Excel by using a Keyboard Shortcut, selecting the Insert Function command from the formulas tab, and clicking the Insert Function icon from the formula bar. Let’s suppose we have a sample data set.
1. Using keyboard Shortcuts to Open Insert Function Dialog Box
Many users discover that using an extra keyboard with Excel keyboard shortcuts increases their productivity. Keyboard shortcuts are a necessary substitute for using a mouse for people who have mobility or vision impairments since they can be more convenient than using a touchpad.
- At the start of this section, click on the SHIFT+F3 first from the keyboard shortcuts.
- Then, the Insert Function dialog box will appear.
2. Selecting Insert Function Command from Formulas Tab
We insert functions, specify names, establish name ranges, and review formulas using the Formula tab. The Ribbon’s Formulas tab offers some of the most crucial and practical features for creating dynamic results.
- Firstly, go to the Formulas tab.
- Secondly, select the Insert Function command.
- You’ll then see the Insert Function dialog box appear.
3. Clicking Insert Function Icon from Formula Bar
The formula bar, often known as a formula box, is a part seen in spreadsheet programs like Microsoft Excel. It allows you to build and view formulas and displays the contents of the currently selected cell. The formula bar is situated just above the spreadsheet in spreadsheet programs like Microsoft Excel.
- Firstly, click on the Insert Function icon, which is directly left on the formula bar.
- The Insert Function dialog box will then show up.
Applying Function Argument for Product Formula
Here, we will apply the product function by applying the Function Argument dialog box by opening the Insert Function Dialog Box in Excel.
- Firstly, select the E5 cell.
- Secondly, click on the Insert Function Then the Insert Function dialog box will open.
- Thirdly, choose the Product function option.
- After that, click OK.
- Here, the Function Arguments box will open.
- Firstly, select the C5 cell as Number1 for the first argument.
- Secondly, choose D5 as the second argument’s cell number.
- Then, click OK.
- Consequently, you will see the outcome of the total price in the E5 cell.
- Besides, use the Fill Handle tool and drag it down from the E5 cell to the E10 cell.
- Finally, you will find all the results of the total price for all the products available here.
In this article, we’ve covered 3 handy methods to open the insert function dialog box in Excel. We sincerely hope you enjoyed and learned a lot from this article. Additionally, if you want to read more articles on Excel, you may visit our website, Exceldemy. If you have any questions, comments, or recommendations, kindly leave them in the comment section below.