Want to learn the basics of a drawing register? Well… you have landed in the right place. This tutorial will provide a complete overview of the drawing register and how to create a drawing register in Excel. You will also get to know the advantages of using the drawing register.
📁 Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice book from the link below.
What Is Drawing Register?
A Drawing Register is basically a list of drawings of a project or a company. Both hard copy and spreadsheets like Excel are used as the list. The drawing register includes the drawing number, title of the drawing, revision no., author, and the corresponding date. Sometimes, the list may contain additional information for users’ purposes like understanding the register.
Most of the time, 3 types of drawing registers are used.
- Simple Drawing Register
- Intermediate Drawing Register
- Advanced Drawing Register
The drawing register used in Excel is under the intermediate category. It is the most common and widely used register with customized advantages. It is almost similar to a simple drawing register. But an Excel drawing register also includes extra features like abolished or archived drawings. This type of register basically has error-checking options like copies or duplicates.
Stepwise Demonstration of Creating Drawing Register in Excel
Let’s elaborate on some easy steps based on which you can form a drawing register in Excel. Follow the steps for serving your purpose.
Step 1: Input Company Information
- First of all, open a blank worksheet and create a header.
- Then put the company information (i.e. name, motto, address, mail, etc) at the top-left corner of the sample worksheet.
Step 2: Provide Project Information
After putting the company information, now keep a space for the project information. That can be project no., type, date of the last update, etc.
Here, you can see a limited number of values are listed. Feel free to add other information which is important for your business.
Step 3: Create List of Drawings
Finally, now it’s time to create a list of drawings. Create a header that will contain:
- Drawing number
- Description of the drawing
- Category of the drawing
- Revision number of the drawing
- Date of the prepared drawing
See, we have created a sample for you. Just as simple as that.
Read More: How to Do Drawing in Excel Using VBA (5 Ideal Examples)
- Draw Isometric Drawing in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- How to Draw Shapes in Excel (2 Suitable Ways)
- Remove Unwanted Objects in Excel (4 Quick Methods)
- How to Use Drawing Tools in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
Advantages of Drawing Register
The drawing register performs the role of the storehouse of all the incoming, up-to-date, and archived drawings of the manufacturing organization. In terms of engineering, architecture, construction, and manufacturing, the benefits of having drawing registers are inevitable.
- Having a central drawing register reduces the time needed to file and rescue the drawing.
- As it stores all the drawings in one place, storage space is saved.
- It can also be used to create a hard copy when required.
- The drawing register controls access to the drawings.
- While working with a large number of drawings, they can be scanned and also included in the corresponding register.
- It increases productivity skills in the office.
Read More: How to Draw Engineering Drawing in Excel (2 Suitable Examples)
Drawing Register Template in Excel
Here, we are providing you with a basic drawing register template which will help you to practice what you have learned from the article as well as you can use that in your scenario of creating a register.
So, now we have gathered some basic ideas for drawing register in Excel and learned to create one in Excel. Hope the article helped you. If you have any questions, or feedback regarding this article, please don’t forget to share them in the comment box. We are always responsive to your feedback. For more articles, kindly visit our website ExcelDemy. Have a great day!