You may have created a chart in Excel on the basis of some gathered data. But sometimes you may need to create Sparklines in your Excel worksheet to make your data more reader-friendly. In this article, I will show you how to create Sparklines in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Basics of Excel Sparklines
Sparklines are tiny graphs that fit in just one cell of an Excel worksheet for representing a series of data. In the form of a tiny bar or line chart, sparklines describe the data of a row or a column. Although sparkline has limited functionality compared to standard charts or graphs, it makes the report more reader-friendly for being used to show a trend.
Types of Sparklines
Three different types of sparklines are available in Excel.
- Line: Line sparklines are in the form of lines where the pick points indicate the fluctuations of the data range.
- Column: This type is in the form of a column or bar chart where each column/bar shows each value.
- Win/Loss: It is used mainly where the outcome is binary (i.e. True/False, Yes/No, Ups/Downs, etc).
2 Easy Ways to Create Sparklines in Excel
In this section, you’ll find 2 easy ways for creating sparklines in an Excel workbook by using Excel built-in features. Let’s check them now!
1. Create Sparklines Using Ribbon Option
Let’s say, we have got a dataset of sales of the sales assistants of a shop over a certain period of time.
We want to create sparklines on the basis of monthly sales of the shop for the mentioned three sales assistants.
To create sparklines by using the Insert option, just follow the steps below:
- At first, select a cell at the end of a row of data.
- Then, go to the Insert tab> select Sparklines> choose a Sparkline type you want (i.e. Line).
- After that, Create Sparklines dialogue box will show up. Assign the data range from which you want to create sparklines.
- Now, click OK.
- Here, your sparkline will be created in the selected cell for the assigned data range.
- Now, use Autofill to drag the sparkline to every cell you want the output.
So, you have to follow these quick steps to create sparklines by using the Insert Sparklines option on the basis of some gathered row/column data to show a trend to visualize the data more efficiently.
2. Use Quick Analysis Tool to Create Sparklines
Let’s say, for our previous dataset, we want to create sparklines using the Quick Analysis tool. To create sparklines by using this method, just follow the simple steps below:
- First of all, select the data range and click the Quick Analysis tool that appeared at the right end of the selected data.
- Then select Sparklines and choose a Sparkline type (i.e. Column).
- Now sparklines will appear showing the trend of your data range.
In this way, you can create sparklines by using the quick analysis tool in the blink of an eye!
Customizing Sparklines in Excel
After adding the sparklines, you may need to customize that. Let’s see how to customize the sparklines.
Highlight Data Points on Sparklines
You can distinguish between different data (i.e. highest or lowest) by using markers.
For this, follow the steps below:
- Firstly, click a sparkline.
- Then, go to the Sparkline tab> Show group. You’ll see options like High point, Low Point, Markers, etc. Select the one you want (i.e. Markers).
Change Sparkline Color & Style
Excel also allows you to change the style & color of the sparklines.
- Click a Sparkline & go to the Sparkline tab.
- You can choose the Style, Sparkline Color, and Marker Color from here.
Edit Sparklines for Empty or Zero Value Cells
To handle sparklines for empty cells or zero value cells:
- At first, click a Sparkline & go to the Sparkline tab> Edit Data> Hidden & Empty Cells.
- Then, a dialogue box will show up allowing you to the formation you want for empty cells. Choose one(i.e. Connect data points with line).
- You can change the sparkline according to your choice.
Delete Sparklines in Excel
If you want to delete your sparklines:
- Firstly, select the cell you want to delete and go to the Sparkline tab> Clear option.
- Your sparkline will be deleted by clicking Clear.
In this article, we have learned how to create sparklines in an Excel worksheet by using the Excel built-in features. I hope from now on, you can quickly form sparklines in an Excel worksheet and monitor trends in your marketing campaigns which will help you to make a quick overview of your success rate. If you have any queries regarding this article, please don’t forget to leave a comment below. You can also visit our website ExcelDemy. Have a great day!