We often use time in our worksheets for business purposes, educational purposes, and many others. In some cases, we need to add or subtract time in the worksheet. Excel offers some quick ways to do it smartly. This article will provide you with 3 quick methods to add minutes to time in Excel with sharp steps and vivid illustrations.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel template from here and practice on your own.
3 Methods to Add Minutes to Time in Excel
Let’s get introduced to our dataset first. I have used some different times in my sheet and I’ll add 15 minutes to all the times.
Method 1: Use Manual Formula to Add Minutes to Time in Excel
In our very first method, I’ll show how to add minutes to time using manual formula. For that, we need to know some information about time in Excel. Excel stores time value in a decimal number. Time is a fractional value of 24hrs in Excel.
- 1 day = 24hours
- 1 hour = 1/24
- 1 minute = 1/(24*60) = 1440
- 1 Second = 1/(24*60*60) = 1/86400
So if we want to add minutes manually then we’ll have to multiply that minutes by 1/1440 before adding.
Now I’ll add 15 minutes to all the times in the sheet.
- Activate Cell D5 by pressing it.
- Type the following formula in it-
- Press the Enter button to get the result.
Then you will see that the minutes are successfully added.
- Later, to copy the formula for the other cells, drag down the Fill Handle icon by using your mouse.
Now see that the minutes are added to all the times.
Related Content: How to Add Hours to Time in Excel (8 Quick Ways)
Method 2: Insert Excel TIME Function to Add Minutes to Time
Using the TIME function to add minutes to time in Excel is one of the easiest methods. The TIME function is used to create a time with individual hour, minute, and second components.
Syntax of TIME Function:
=TIME(hour, minute, second)
hour – (Required) The hour for the time you want to create.
minute – (Required) The minute for the time you want to create.
second – (Required) The second for the time you want to create.
Let’s use it to do the task-
- Write the following formula in Cell D5–
- Or you can use this formula instead-
- Then just hit the Enter button.
The minutes are added now.
- Finally, just drag down the Fill Handle icon to copy the formula.
Then you will get all the outputs like the image below.
- How to Subtract Time in Excel (7 Quick Methods)
- Add Hours, Minutes, and Seconds in Excel
- How to Use Time Format in Excel VBA (Macro, UDF, and UserForm)
- Add Time in Excel Automatically (5 Easy Ways)
- How to Add Minutes and Seconds in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
Method 3: Apply Excel NOW Function to Sum up Minutes to Current Time
We can add minutes to the current time by using the NOW function. The NOW function is used to return the current date and time and it updates continuously when a worksheet is changed or opened.
Syntax of NOW Function:
The NOW function has no arguments.
Now I’ll add 15 minutes again to the current time.
- In Cell C5 type the following formula-
- Later, just click the Enter button for the output.
Here’s the new time after adding the minutes to my current time.
I hope all of the methods described above will be good enough to add minutes to time in Excel. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback.
- How to Calculate Difference Between Two Dates and Times in Excel
- Add 15 Minutes to Time in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
- How to Add 1 Hour to Time in Excel (7 Examples)
- Excel Formula for Overtime over 40 Hours [with Free Template]
- How to Add Military Time in Excel (3 Easy Ways)
- Add Time to Date in Excel (4 Useful Methods)
- How to Add Time in Excel Over 24 Hours (4 ways)