This article illustrates how to add milliseconds to time in Excel. The available time formats in Excel are enough for most cases. But assume you are the game teacher in your school. Then you may need to work with milliseconds and add or subtract them. How will you do it? Well, although there is no in-built time formatting for milliseconds, there is a way around doing this. Follow the article to learn how to do that.
Add Milliseconds to Time in Excel: 3 Handy Steps
Assume you have the following dataset. Now you need to add the millisecond values in column C to the time values in column B and get the results in column D.
Follow the steps below to be able to do that.
STEP 1: Apply Formula to Add Milliseconds to Time
- First, enter the following formula in cell D5. You can replace the values within brackets with 86400000. The values within brackets represent 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes in an hour, 60 seconds in a minute, and 1000 milliseconds in a second.
Read More: How to Add Minutes to Time in Excel
STEP 2: Change Cell Formatting to Show Milliseconds
- Then press CTRL + 1 to open the Format Cells dialog box. Next, go to the Custom category from the Number tab. After that, enter hh:mm:ss.000 in the Type field to apply this formatting with milliseconds. Then click OK.
STEP 3: Copy Formula Using Fill Handle
- Finally, double-click the Fill Handle icon or drag it to the cells below to add all the millisecond values to the respective time values.
Read More: How to Add Minutes and Seconds in Excel
Things to Remember
- You should apply [hh]:mm:ss.000 formatting instead of hh:mm:ss.000 in case of elapsed time to get the hour values past 24.
- The formula bar in Excel won’t show the added milliseconds as it is designed that way.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from the download button below.
Now you know how to add milliseconds to time in Excel. Do you have any further queries or suggestions? Please let us know in the comment section below.
- Add 15 Minutes to Time in Excel
- How to Add 30 Minutes to Time in Excel
- How to Add Hours, Minutes, and Seconds in Excel
- How to Add Time in Excel Over 24 Hours
- How to Add 1 Hour to Time in Excel
- Add 8 Hours to Time in Excel
- How to Add Time to Date in Excel
- How to Add Hours and Minutes in Excel
- How to Add Hours to Time in Excel