While working in Excel sometimes we create different types of charts and we want to copy the chart into another sheet of the same or different workbook. It comes in handy if we copy the chart on another sheet. In this article, we will show 2 easy methods to copy a chart to another sheet in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here.
2 Easy Methods to Copy a Chart to Another Sheet in Excel
We will show here 2 easy methods to copy a chart to another sheet in Excel. In the dataset, we have data on sales items for a few months and we have created a chart for the dataset in the sheet.
1. Use Copy & Paste Options to Copy a Chart to Another Sheet
We can use the Copy and Paste options of Excel to copy the chart to another sheet which can be of the same workbook or a different workbook. In this method, we will show the procedures.
1.1 Copy to Same Workbook
For copying the chart in a different sheet of the same workbook we follow the steps given below.
- First, select the chart in our active sheet.
- Next, right click and choose the Copy option from the list.
- Here, we can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + C to copy the chart.
- Then, we go to the sheet where we want a copy of the chart. Select the cell where we want the upper left corner of the chart to appear and right-click.
- We will see 3 paste options: Use Destination Theme (the chart format will be changed with the destination), Keep Source Formatting (the chart format will remain unchanged) and Picture (only an image of the chart will be pasted).
- Now, we select Keep Source Formatting to keep the source format. You can choose different paste options.
- Finally, we can see the chart copied in the new sheet of the same workbook.
1.2 Copy to Different Workbook
We may want to copy the chart into a sheet of a different workbook. Let’s follow the steps given below.
- Firstly, open both the workbook (the active one and the one where we will copy the chart)
- Now, copy the chart by right-clicking or using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + C.
- After that, we open the sheet of the new workbook where we want the chart to copy.
- Further, select the cell where the chart’s upper left corner should appear.
- Next, right click and choose one paste option like before.
- Here, we can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + V.
- That’s it! We can see the chart copied in a sheet from a different workbook.
Read More: How to Change Chart Style in Excel (with Easy Steps)
2. Duplicate Whole Excel Sheet for Copying the Chart
Instead of copying the chart we can also copy the whole sheet including the chart and data. The steps for the method are given below.
- In the beginning, select the active sheet from the bottom of the worksheet. In our case, the active sheet is the “Original Sheet”.
- After that, right click on it and select the Move or Copy option from the list.
- Here, the Move or Copy box will appear. We put a mark on Create a copy option.
- Then, select OK.
- Finally, a duplicate copy of our active cell will be seen in the workbook.
Read More: How to Change the Chart Style to Style 8 (2 Easy Methods)
How to Copy One Chart Format to Another Chart in Excel
Suppose we have two charts in two worksheets and we want to copy the format of one chart of a sheet to another chart of another sheet. The steps for doing that are given below.
- First right-click on the chart whose format we want to copy.
- After that, choose the Save as Template option from the list.
- Save Chart Template window will appear.
- Next, we set the template name and select OK.
- Now we go to another sheet that has a chart and we want to change its format with the previously saved format.
- Afterwards we select the chart, right-click on it and choose Change Chart Type.
- Consequently, the Change Chart Type window will pop up.
- Here, select Templates from the window and choose our saved Template.
- Then select OK.
- Hurrah! We have successfully copied the format of one chart to another one.
Read More: How to Make a Graph or Chart in Excel (Complete Video Guide)
Copying a chart from one sheet to another comes useful sometimes. In this article, we have shown 2 easy methods to copy a chart to another sheet in Excel. If you have any queries, please let us know by commenting. Please visit our Exceldemy site for similar articles regarding Excel.