Nowadays, Google Sheets is getting very popular among the public and slowly catching up with Microsoft Excel. Though many people are shifting towards Google Sheets, a large portion of spreadsheet users still prefer to work on Excel. Hence, people are frequently in need of transforming files from Google Sheets to Excel. In this article, we will learn, how to transform files from Google Sheets to Excel automatically.
In this section, we will demonstrate 2 effective methods to transform Google Sheets to Excel automatically with appropriate illustrations. For illustration purposes, we have taken a demo Google sheet named ‘Demo Google Sheet‘ containing some students’ Names and their student IDs.
Now, we will try to transform this Google Sheet into an Excel file(.xlsx) automatically. Let’s check the first method.
1. Transforming Google Sheets to Excel Automatically from the Sheets Site
In the first method, we will directly transform Google Sheets into Excel automatically from its site. To do that, follow the steps below.
- First, from the ribbon, click on the File tab.
- As you can see, on the File tab, you will see many options such as New, Open, Import, Make a Copy, Now, click on the Download option.
- Under the Download option, you will see that there are many options to download this file. You can not only download it as a .xlsx file but also OpenDocument, PDF, Web Page(.html), Comma Separated Values(.csv), and Tab Separated Values(.tsv) Now, click on the Microsoft Excel(.xlsx) as we want to download it as Excel file.
- Consequently, a “Save As” window will appear like this below. Now, choose a folder where you want to save the file and then click OK.
- After saving the file, if you open the file, it will be opened in Excel.
- From the screenshot, we can see that our Google spreadsheet file has properly transformed into an Excel file. In this way, we can turn the Google Sheet file into Excel.
2. Utilizing Drive Site to Transform Google Sheets to Excel Automatically
This is another alternative way to transform any Google Sheet into an Excel file. As we know every Google Sheet file is stored in the Google Drive of the file owner. Hence, we can utilize Google Drive to download a Google Sheet into Excel. To know more, follow the steps below.
- First, go to the Google Drive site.
- Then find the spreadsheet file that you want to transform it into Excel.
- Now, right-click on the file. A menu will appear like this below. From the menu, click on Download.
- Finally, save your file in the desired folder.
- As you can see from the above screenshot, your file will be saved as Microsoft Excel Worksheet.
Things to Remember
- Excel files will not automatically update as we perform any change in the actual Google sheet file. Hence, If you change something on the Google Sheets, then you have to transform it again into the latest Excel file.
- In order to edit the newly created Excel file, you may need to check the Enable Editing option.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
That is the end of this article. Hopefully, now you have a fair idea of how we can transform Google Sheets to Excel automatically. If you find this article helpful, please share this with your friends. Moreover, do let us know if you have any further queries. Finally, please visit Exeldemy for more exciting articles on Excel.
- How to Import Data from Google Sheets to Excel Using VBA
- How to Convert Google Sheets to Excel with Formulas
- [Fixed!]: Google Sheet Downloaded as Excel Is Not Working
- How to Import Data from Google Sheets to Excel (3 Easy Ways)
- Use QUERY Function of Google Sheets in Excel (3 Common Ways)
- How to Convert Excel Sheet to Google Sheets (3 Easy Ways)