Microsoft Excel is a powerful program, and we use it on a regular basis. Nowadays, Google Sheets is getting very popular among the public and slowly catching up with Microsoft Excel. Though many people are shifting towards Google Sheets, a large portion of spreadsheet users still prefer to work on Excel. Hence, people are frequently in need of transforming files from Google Sheets to Excel. In this article, I will show you 2 easy ways to download Google Sheets to Excel. Hence, read the article carefully and save time.
How to Download Google Sheets to Excel: 2 Suitable Methods
Both Excel and Google Sheets are widely used for data analysis and performing different sorts of calculations, and both have some specific benefits. Fortunately, you can import data from Google Sheets to Excel in several ways, and the process is quite simple. In this section, I will demonstrate 2 suitable methods to transform Google Sheets to Excel automatically with appropriate illustrations. For illustration purposes, I have taken a demo Google Sheet as a sample.
1. Download Google Sheets Directly as Excel File
In the first method, I will directly transform Google Sheets into Excel from its site. This is the easiest method in order to complete the task. Moreover, you can download the Google Sheet with just a single click. However, go through the following steps to complete the task properly.
- Initially, click on the File tab.
- As a result, different File menus will pop out.
- After that, select Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) from the Download option.
- Finally, the file will be downloaded.
- Now, open the file, and you will get your desired output in Excel.
2. Use Google Drive for Downloading Sheets to Excel
Furthermore, you can download Google Sheets into Excel using Google Drive. Moreover, this is an alternative way to transform any Google Sheet into an Excel file. As we know every Google Sheet file is stored in the Google Drive of the file owner. Hence, you can utilize Google Drive to download a Google Sheet into Excel. To know more, follow the steps below.
- First, go to Google Drive, where you saved the sheet.
- Secondly, find the spreadsheet file that you want to transform into Excel.
- Thirdly, right-click on the file, and a menu will appear.
- From the menu, click on Download.
- Finally, the Google Sheet will be downloaded to Excel.
💬 Things to Remember
- Firstly, Excel files will not automatically update as we perform any change in the actual google sheet file. Hence, If you change something on the Google Sheets, then you have to transform it again into the latest Excel file.
- However, you can share the link to Google Sheets with anyone, and they can follow a similar process to download them.
- Lastly, in order to edit the newly created excel file, you may need to check the Enable Editing option.
- For the purpose of demonstration, I have used Microsoft Office 365. You can use other versions of Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook used for the demonstration from the download link below.
These are all the steps you can follow to download google sheets to Excel. Hopefully, you can now easily create the needed adjustments. I sincerely hope you learned something and enjoyed this guide. Please let us know in the comments section below if you have any queries or recommendations.