Looking for ways to know how to generate barcode numbers in Excel? Sometimes, we want our Excel to move to the next cell automatically to make our work easier. Here, you will find step-by-step explained ways to generate barcode numbers in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
What Is Barcode?
Barcode is a machine-readable code consisting of space and varying widths of parallel lines which represent numerals and characters. It can encode product information. Barcode brings ease, speed, accuracy, and inventory control to Business.
Steps to Generate Barcode Numbers in Excel
We can generate Barcode Numbers in Excel by going through some steps.
Here, we have a dataset containing the Name and Code of some Products. Now, we will show you how to generate Barcodes from these given Codes.
1. Using Format Cells Feature to Convert Numbers into Text
Here, we will show you how to use Format Cells Feature to convert Numbers into Text. This is necessary for the correct display of Codes beginning with “0” and prevent large numbers to display in scientific notation.
Follow the steps given below to do it on your own.
- First, select Cell range C5:C12 and Right-click.
- Then, select Format Cells.
- Now, the Format Cells box will open.
- After that, go to the Number tab >> select Text.
- Finally, press OK.
2. Using Ampersand Operator (&) to Insert Values for Barcode in Excel
Now, we will Insert Value for Barcode using Ampersand Operator (&) to change the Text into Code. Here, we will add Brackets () using Ampersand Operator (&) so that the data can convert from Code to Barcode smoothly.
- First, select Cell D5.
- Then, insert the following formula.
Here, In the formula, we added Brackets () with Cell C5 using Ampersand Operator (&).
- After that, press ENTER.
- Next, drag down the Fill Handle tool to AutoFill the formula for the rest of the cells.
- Now, you will get all the values of Text values as Code in the Barcode column.
3. Download Barcode Fonts to Generate Barcode Numbers in Excel
In case, your Microsoft Excel does not have any Barcode Fonts you can download it for free from different websites. Here, we downloaded IDAutomationHC39M Free Version Barcode Font.
Follow the steps given below to download Barcode Fonts on your own.
- First, click on the link to go to the Website.
- Then, click on the Download Now button.
- After that, the box is shown below to see the Download List.
- Next, click on the IDAutomationCode39.zip file.
- Now, open the IDAutomation_Code39FreeFont zip file.
- Then, click on the Extract all button.
- After that, Select a Destination and Extract Files box will open.
- Now, click on Browse to select a Destination.
- Next, select a Folder of your own choice. Here, we will select Code 39 Folder.
- Then, press on Select Folder.
- Now, you will see that the Folder has been selected.
- Afterward, click on the Extract button.
- Then, open the IDAutomation_Code39FreeFont Setup File.
- Now, click on Next.
- Afterward, License Agreement box will open.
- Next, turn on I accept the agreement option.
- Then, click on Next.
- Again, click on Next.
- Now, the Select Destination Location box will appear.
- Next, click on the Browse button.
- Then, the Browse For Folder box will open.
- After that, select any Folder of your choice. Here, we will select New Volume (F:) Folder.
- Next, press OK.
- Now, you can see that the Folder has been selected.
- Afterward, click on Next.
- Again, click on Next.
- Here, again click on Next.
- Then, the Ready to Install box will appear.
- Next, click on Install.
- After that, click on Next.
- Finally, click on Finish.
Read More: How to Use Code 39 Barcode Font for Excel (with Easy Steps)
4. Change Fonts to Generate Barcode Numbers in Excel
Now, we will change the Font of the Barcode column to generate Barcode Numbers. Go through the steps to do it on your own.
- First, select Cell range D5:D12.
- Then, go to the Home tab >> click on Theme Fonts.
- After that, select the IDAutomationHC39M Free Version Font.
- Finally, you will get the Barcode Numbers for your Products in Excel.
In this section, we are giving you the dataset to practice on your own and learn to use these methods.
So, in this article, you will find a step-by-step way to generate barcode numbers in Excel. Use any of these ways to accomplish the result in this regard. Hope you find this article helpful and informative. Feel free to comment if something seems difficult to understand. Let us know any other approaches which we might have missed here. And, visit ExcelDemy for many more articles like this. Thank you!
- How to Create Barcode Without Font in Excel (2 Smart Method)
- Use Barcode Scanner in Excel (2 Suitable Ways)
- How to Generate Code 128 Barcode Font for Excel (With Easy Steps)
- Barcode Scanner Entry to Excel Database with Timestamp (3 Basic Cases)
- How to Print Barcode Labels in Excel (with 4 Easy Steps)