Looking for ways to resize chart area without resizing plot area in Excel? Then, this is the right place for you. Normally, when you resize any chart area, the plot area gets resized automatically. Here, you will find 2 ways to resize chart area without resizing plot area.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook to practice yourself.
How to Add Chart in Excel
Suppose we have a dataset containing information on the Time and Distance covered by a vehicle. Now using this dataset we will show you can add charts in Excel and then resize the chart area without resizing plot area.
- To start with, select your cell range. Here, we will select cell range B4:C10.
- Then, go to the Insert tab >> click on Insert Scatter Chart >> select any chart from there.
- Thus, a chart will be added.
- After that, to add Axis Titles, click on the “+” sign shown below.
- Next, turn on Axis Titles.
- Now, you can Chart and Axis Titles according to your wish.
- Finally, after editing the titles the Chart will look like the image given below.
2 Easy Ways to Resize Chart Area Without Resizing Plot Area in Excel
Now, after adding a chart you can resize the chart area if you want. But this will automatically change the plot area too. To resize chart area without resizing plot area follow the ways given below.
1. Resize Plot Area After Resizing Chart Area in Excel
As resizing the chart area automatically changes the plot area, you can change the plot area again to make it like before. Follow the steps given below to do that.
- In the beginning, select the chart.
- Then, drag the chart to change its area.
- Now, you will see that the plot area has been automatically changed with changing the chart area.
- Next, select the plot area and then drag it to make the area like before.
- Additionally, if you want you can also change the position of the plot area in the chart.
- Thus, you can resize the chart area without resizing plot area in Excel.
Read More: Excel Area Chart Data Label & Position
2. Use VBA to Resize Chart Area Without Resizing Plot Area
You can also resize the chart area without resizing the plot area using VBA.
Here are the steps.
- Firstly, go to the Developer tab >> click on Visual Basic.
- Now, the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application box will open.
- Then, click on Insert >> select Module.
- Next, write the following code in your Module.
Sub Resize_Chart_Area() Dim ch1 As Chart, plot_height As Double, plot_width As Double Set ch1 = ActiveChart plot_height = ch1.PlotArea.Height: plot_width = ch1.PlotArea.Width ch1.Parent.Height = ch1.Parent.Height * 1.25: ch1.Parent.Width = ch1.Parent.Width * 1.25 ch1.PlotArea.Height = plot_height: ch1.PlotArea.Width = plot_width End Sub
- Firstly, we created a Sub Procedure named Resize_Chart_Area.
- Secondly, we declared ch1 as Chart and plot_height and plot_width as Double.
- After that, we set ch1 as ActiveChart.
- Next, we set plot_height and plot_width the same as chart ch1.
- Then, we changed the chart height and width.
- Lastly, we reset plot_height and plot_width.
- After that, click on the Save button to save the code and go back to your Excel Sheet.
- Next, select the chart.
- Further, go to the Developer tab >> click on Macros.
- Now, the Macros box will appear.
- Next, select resize_chart_area.
- After that, click on Run.
- Finally, you will see that the chart area has been resized and the plot area remained the same.
In the article, you will find an Excel workbook like the image given below to practice on your own.
So, in this article, we have shown you 2 ways to resize chart area without resizing plot area in Excel. I hope you found this article interesting and helpful. If something seems difficult to understand, please leave a comment. Please let us know if there are any more alternatives that we may have missed. And visit ExcelDemy for many more articles like this. Thank you!
- How to Make Smooth Area Chart in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- Create Polar Area Chart in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
- How to Create Stacked Area Chart with Negative Values in Excel
- Stacked Area Chart with Line in Excel (2 Practical Examples)
- How to Shade an Area of a Graph in Excel (With Easy Steps)
- Change Order of Excel Stacked Area Chart (with Quick Steps)