A hyperlink is a form of text that refers to a certain web address with a URL link. Microsoft Excel allows us to auto-hyperlink any text whenever we type it in a cell. Sometimes we want to omit this feature but in Excel, the hyperlink keeps coming back. In this article, we will discuss 5 quick solutions when hyperlink keeps coming back in Excel.
To illustrate the solutions, we created a sample dataset. Here, we have a list of the Top 5 Sites of 2022 with Site Names and Site Addresses in the cell range B5:C9. As you can see, the site addresses are hyperlinked automatically after typing each name.
To solve this, apply any of the methods below to prevent the return of hyperlinks.
You can use the Autocorrect feature in Excel when the hyperlink keeps coming back. To conduct this, follow the steps below.
- First, go to the File tab of your workbook.
- Then, select Options on the Backstage View.
- Following, go to the Proofing section in the Excel Options dialogue box.
- Here, select AutoCorrect Options.
- Next, click on AutoFormat As You Type in the AutoCorrect window.
- In this window, deselect Internet and network paths with hyperlinks.
- Lastly, press OK twice to close all the windows.
- Finally, type the web address again and you will see no hyperlink is generated automatically.
Read More: How to Edit Hyperlink in Excel
You can eliminate hyperlinks with VBA Macro code as well. Let’s see how it works.
- In the beginning, go to the Developer tab and select Visual Basic from the Code group.
- Then, select Module from the Insert tab in the Visual Basic Editor window.
- Next, type this code on the blank page.
Sub EraseAllHyperlinks() ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Delete End Sub
- Afterward, click on Run Sub/UserForm in the Run tab or press F5 on your keyboard.
- Following, click on Run in the Macro window.
- Finally, all the hyperlinks will be erased like this.
- As you have the VBA code saved for this specific workbook, whenever you want to remove the hyperlink, click on the Macros icon and run the code without typing the code every time.
Read More: How to Fix Broken Hyperlinks in Excel
In this section, we will apply the Paste Special feature of Excel to remove hyperlinks and prevent them from returning.
- First, type 1 in any blank cell adjacent to your dataset.
- For example, we typed 1 in Cell C10.
- Then, select the cell and press Ctrl + C to copy it.
- Following, select the cell range C5:C9 as they are the hyperlinked cells.
- Next, right-click on any of the selected cells.
- Then, select Paste Special.
- Afterward, select Multiply in the Operation section of the Paste Special dialogue box.
- Finally, press OK and you will see all the hyperlinks are removed successfully.
Read More: How to Find and Replace Hyperlinks in Excel
We can prevent hyperlinks from coming back with just two clicks. Let’s see the process below.
- First, select the cell range C5:C9 as they contain the hyperlinks.
- Then, right-click on any of the cells and click on Remove Hyperlinks from its Context Menu.
- That’s it, the hyperlinks are not visible anymore.
Read More: How to Extract Hyperlink from URL in Excel
Here is a quick solution to eliminate hyperlinks with keyboard shortcuts. Let’s see how it works.
- First, type the first website address in Cell C5.
- Then, press Enter.
- Afterward, you will the text is hyperlinked like this.
- Therefore, immediately press Ctrl + Z on your keyboard.
- That’s it, the site address will return to normal text just the way you typed it.
- Follow, the same procedure to get all the site addresses without hyperlinks.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this sample file and practice by yourself.
Henceforth, we are at the conclusion of our tutorial. Here, we tried to guide you with 5 solutions when hyperlink keeps coming back in Excel. Let us know if you can suggest any other method to solve this issue.
- [Fix:] Hyperlink to Website Not Working in Excel
- Hyperlink in Excel Not Working
- How to Solve ‘Cannot Open the Specified File’ Error in Excel Hyperlink
- [Fixed!] Hyperlinks in Excel Not Working After Saving
- [Fixed!] Excel Hyperlink Formula Not Working
- [Fixed!] Excel Hyperlink Is Not Redirecting Properly