Sometimes, we use different hyperlinks to express our thoughts in short or to add attachments. Rather than discussing it in detail, we mention other sources where the topic is described in detail. It is not rare that the attached hyperlink in Microsoft Excel is not working properly. There are some simple and easy ways to solve this problem. In this article, I am going to discuss 4 possible solutions to fix the hyperlink not redirecting properly in Excel problem.
Download Practice Workbook
It is very common that the attached hyperlink in Excel is not redirecting to the desired location. The good side is that it is fixable. I will try to show 4 probable solutions on this topic.
For more clarification, I am going to use a dataset where I have some hyperlinks in the Article Hyperlink column.
We might face the problem mentioned in the following image. If we click on the hyperlink, it will show an error like this. There is nothing to worry. Let’s try how it can be solved
1. Remove Pound (#) Sign
If there is a Pound (#) Sign in the hyperlink, it will not work properly. We can fix this problem following the procedures mentioned below.
- Put the cursor on the cell containing hyperlink and right-click on the cursor.
- Then, go to Edit Hyperlink…
In the Address box, you will be able to see a Pound (#) Sign in the hyperlink.
- Remove the Pound (#) Sign and click on OK.
There is another possible solution that we can try by enabling the Automatic Hyperlink. This process is described below.
- Go to the File tab.
- Then, click on Options.
An Excel Options wizard will appear.
- Followingly, click on Proofing.
- Go to AutoCorrect Options… from the AutoCorrect options group.
- Now, choose AutoFormat As You Type tab from the AutoCorrect wizard.
- Check the box named Internet and network paths with hyperlinks.
- Finally, click on OK to finish the process.
This might solve your problem.
- [Fixed!] Unshare Workbook Greyed Out in Excel
- [Solved!]: Excel Page Layout Being Greyed Out (4 Quick Fixes)
- [Fixed!] Formulas Are Not Calculating Automatically in Excel
- Excel Data Validation Greyed Out (4 Reasons with Solutions)
- [Fixed] Excel Date Filter Not Working
3. Immobilize Update Links on Save Option
We might solve the Excel hyperlink not redirecting properly problem by disabling the Update links on save option. The whole process is described below.
- Go to Options from the File tab.
- Choose Advanced from the Excel Options wizard.
- Next, click on Web Options… from the General group.
- Afterward, go to the Files tab in Web Options.
- Uncheck the box named Update links on save.
- Click on OK to finish the process.
Read More: [Solved]: Macro Settings Greyed out in Excel
There might be a mistake in inputting the hyperlink. So, we can remove the previous hyperlink and reinput it to solve the problem.
- First of all, put the cursor on the cell containing the hyperlink and right-click on the cursor.
- Then, click on Remove Hyperlink…
- Again, put the cursor on the same cell and right-click on the cursor.
- Next, click on Link.
- Now, add the hyperlink again and press OK to finish the process.
At the end of this article, I like to add that I have tried to explain 4 possible solutions to fix the Excel hyperlink not working properly problem. It will be a matter of great pleasure for me if this article could help any Excel user even a little. For any further queries, comment below. You can visit our site for more articles about using Excel
- [Fixed!]: Unable to Enable Macros in Excel (5 Quick Solutions)
- [Solved]: COUNTBLANK Not Working in Excel
- [Fixed!] Excel Iterative Calculation Not Working
- [Solved] Excel Formatting Not Working Unless Double Click Cell
- [Fixed!] Excel Filter Stops at Blank Row (4 Possible Solutions)
- [Solved:] Excel Not Filtering Entire Column (3 Quick Fixes)
- [Fixed!] Excel COUNTIF Function Not Working for String “True”