If you are looking for some special tricks to solve the problem “Excel files open as read-only from the network”, you’ve come to the right place. In Microsoft Excel, there are numerous ways to fix this problem. This article will discuss eight methods to resolve the problem. Let’s follow the complete guide to learn all of this.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
8 Possible Solutions for Excel Files Open as Read Only from Network
There are many reasons to experience the Excel read-only error. Listed below are some of them.
- Corrupted Excel Workbook
- Unsupported Add-ins
- Malware and Antivirus
- Encrypted File
- Issues with Excel Program
- Spreadsheet or File Settings
In the following section, we will use eight effective and tricky methods to solve the problem “Excel files open as read-only from the network”. This section provides extensive details on eight methods. You should learn and apply all of these to improve your thinking capability and Excel knowledge.
Solution 1: Eliminate Read Only Attribute from Excel File Properties
The main reason for Excel read-only error messages is because of their property settings. To fix the problem you have to follow the following process.
- Firstly, by right-clicking on the MS Excel file you have to select the Properties.
- Next, in the Attributes option, Read-only must be unchecked.
- Then, click on OK.
Read More: How to Remove Read Only from Excel (7 Easiest Ways)
Solution 2: Readjust Antivirus Settings
Sometimes, an antivirus system prevents Excel files from opening in read-only format. Keep your antivirus updated and make sure it doesn’t conflict with Excel. Excel may hang if an obsolete Antivirus tool interferes with it. You can also temporarily disable your anti-virus software to see whether that is the cause of your Excel hang. Whenever that solves the problem, contact your antivirus supplier and let them know there’s a problem.
Solution 3: Remove Protected View of Excel
We can also solve the problem of “Excel files open as read-only from the network” by removing the protected view of Excel. To do this you have to follow the following method.
- Firstly, you have to open File > Options.
- Then, select Trust Center and select Trust Center Settings.
- Next, select Protected View and uncheck all options like the following.
- Then, select File Block Settings and uncheck all options. Click on OK.
Read More: How to Make Excel Workbook Read Only with Password (With Easy Steps)
Solution 4: Repair MS Office
We can also solve the problem by repairing Microsoft 365. To do this you have to follow the following process.
- Firstly, press ‘Windows+R’. Then, type appwiz.cpl. Next, press Enter. Or you can use a direct way to open Programs and Features in the Control panel.
- Right-click on Microsoft 365 and select Change.
Solution 5: Change File Type
We can also solve the problem by changing the file type. To do this you have to follow the following method.
- Firstly, you have to open File > Save As.
- Then, select the file type from the Save Workbooks.
Read More: [Fixed!] This Excel Workbook Was Opened in Read-Only Mode
Solution 6: Uncheck Read-Only Recommended
We can also solve the problem “Excel files open as read-only from the network” by unchecking the Read-only recommended. To do this you have to follow the following method.
- Firstly, you have to open File > Save As.
- When, the Save As dialog box appears, select Tools. Then, select General Options.
- When the General Options dialog box appears, Read-only recommended must be unchecked.
- Following this method, we can easily and quickly solve the problem.
Solution 7: Check and Update Windows
As soon as a problem is identified, Microsoft issues a patch. To avoid problems, it’s important to keep Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office on the latest versions. If you experience a read-only Excel error, then you need to update Windows and Microsoft Office.
Solution 8: Recheck If OneDrive Storage Is Full
You may experience such problems if your MS Excel Files are stored on OneDrive with insufficient storage space. It is necessary to open Settings on your computer, go to OneDrive, and check the amount of available space. Empty the space on the drive if there is no available space or it is full. If the problem persists, try reinstalling the software.
That’s the end of today’s session. I strongly believe that from now, you may solve the problem ‘Excel files open as read-only from the network”. If you have any queries or recommendations, please share them in the comments section below.
Don’t forget to check our website Exceldemy.com for various Excel-related problems and solutions. Keep learning new methods and keep growing!