In Microsoft Excel using multiply, divide, and sum are the most common tasks to do. Microsoft Excel provides many simple ways to divide numbers and cells. You can use forward slash between cells, use QUOTIENT function to divide. Just apply the formula and then drag it down to get results in all the columns or rows. This article is about how to divide in excel without using a function.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
2 Easy Steps to Divide Without Using a Function in Excel
Follow my steps to divide in excel without using a function. By the end of these steps you will learn to divide in excel without using a function or formula.
Suppose we have a dataset of some sales amount of a shop. Each sale amount will be distributed among the shop’s 20 shareholders. Now we will divide all the sales amount with 20 to get the result.
Step 1: Copy the Number and Go to Paste Special Command
- Select the cell (E5) with which we will divide all the numbers from the list.
- Press Ctrl+C to copy.
- Now select cells to divide with the copied number. Here I have selected cells (C5) to (C14) to divide.
- From the Home ribbon select “Paste Special” from the “Paste” option.
- Follow this path: Home → Paste → Paste Special.
Read More: How to Divide for Entire Row in Excel (6 Simple Methods)
Step 2: Apply Divide Option to Divide Without Using Function
- As we are dividing the whole column, we will select “All” to apply the method to all cells. Then we will select “Divide” from the new window.
- Click OK to get the desired result.
- Now we can see that we have got our precious result without using a formula.
Read More: How to divide columns in Excel (Top 8 easy & quick ways)
Things to Remember
- Division by zero is an operation for which there exists no result with values. When there is text in a selected cell or the cell is blank this error may show. #DIV/0! Error may also occur when the denominator in the division formula is equal to zero.
- You can also go to the “Paste Special” command just by clicking the right button of the mouse after selecting the cells to divide.
In this article, I have shown simple steps to divide in excel without using a function. Take a tour at the practice workbook and download the file to practice by yourself. Hope you find it useful. Please inform us in the comment section about your experience. We, the Exceldemy team, are always responsive to your queries. Stay tuned and keep learning.
- Divide with Decimals in Excel (5 Suitable Examples)
- How to Divide a Value to Get a Percentage in Excel (5 Suitable Examples)
- [Fixed] Division Formula Not Working in Excel (6 Possible Solutions)
- How to Divide a Number by a Percentage in Excel (3 Suitable Examples)
- Add and Then Divide in Excel (5 Suitable Examples)
- How to Divide One Column by Another in Excel (7 Quick Ways)