There are different kinds of charts in Excel. In business, we often need the clustered stacked bar chart. If you don’t know how to create it, you have come to the right place. I hope this article will provide you with some easy steps to create a clustered stacked bar chart in Excel with clear images.
What Is a Clustered Stacked Bar Chart?
A cluster-stacked bar chart contains clusters of columns or bars that are stacked in each column or bar. It is one of the most commonly used charts in Excel.
How to Create Clustered Stacked Bar Chart in Excel: With Easy Steps
It is first, introduced to our dataset that represents quarterly sales for 2 years of a company in three regions.
- First, select the data range C4:G12.
- Then click as follows: Insert > Insert Column or Bar Chart > Stacked Column.
Soon after, a stacked column chart will appear on your sheet.
How to Customize Clustered Stacked Bar Chart in Excel
In charts, there are a lot of customizations by which you can make the outlook of your chart far better and make them easy to understand. In this section, we’ll learn the most essential and required customizations with clear illustrations.
Changing Column Gap Width
First, we’ll change the column gap width. That means you can change the distance between the columns
Soon after you will see that a formatting field has appeared on the right side of your Excel window.
- Set the gap width to 0%.
Now have a look, the gap has gone between the columns, and we have continuous clustered columns.
Read More: Excel Chart Bar Width Too Thin
Formatting Vertical Axis
By formatting the vertical axis, we can change the limit of the axis value, major and minor units, etc.
- Right-click on the vertical axis.
- Then select Format Axis from the context menu.
- Now set the minimum and maximum limits, and I set the maximum limit of 80000.
Then you will get the chart like the image below.
Read More: How to Make a Simple Bar Graph in Excel
Changing Chart Design
Excel has different kinds of chart designs, and from there you can choose the required design according to your choice.
- Click anywhere on the chart.
- Next, click on the Chart Design ribbon and select the required design from the Chart Styles section. I selected the second one- Style 2.
See, this design shows the values in the cluster.
In any chart design, you can change the color of the columns. By changing the color you can make your chart more beautiful.
- Click anywhere on the chart.
- After that, click as follows: Chart Design > Change Colors and then select your desired color. Here, I selected the third one- Colorful Palette 3.
Now you see, the color of the chart has changed according to my selection.
Editing Cluster Border
If we set a border for every cluster then will look better and we’ll be able to discriminate between them easily.
- Follow the first two steps from the Change Column Gap Width section.
- Then click on Fill & Line icon.
- Later, mark Solid line and choose a color from the Border section. I chose the black color.
Now see, the selected clusters have black borders.
- Follow the same process to add borders for the other clusters.
You can download the free Excel workbook from here and practice independently.
That’s all for the article. I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to create a clustered stacked bar chart in Excel. Feel free to ask any questions in the comment section and give me feedback.
- How to Make a Bar Graph in Excel without Numbers
- How to Create a Bar Chart in Excel with Multiple Bars
- How to Make a Grouped Bar Chart in Excel
- How to Make a Double Bar Graph in Excel