This article illustrates how to fix the issue if the keyboard shortcut to unhide columns in Excel is not working.
Assume you have the following dataset containing yearly sales made by employees.
- Now select the columns or cells within the columns that you want to hide. Next, apply the CTRL+0 shortcut to hide the columns.
- It will work just fine and you will get the following result.
- Now select the cells adjacent to the hidden columns. Then try to apply the CTRL+SHIFT+0 shortcut to unhide the columns. You may find that the shortcut is not working.
- There are a few reasons behind this issue. Apply the solutions given below to see which one of them is working for you.
Unhide Columns in Excel Shortcut Not Working: 6 Possible Solutions
Here are the 6 possible solutions if the shortcut to unhide columns in Excel is not working.
1. Change Key Sequence
You should try to change any assigned key sequence for the input language or keyboard layout of your PC. Follow the steps below to be able to do that.
- First, search for Advanced keyboard settings in your Windows Settings or the Windows search bar and open it.
- Then scroll down and select Input language hotkeys.
- Next, click on Change Key Sequence from the Advanced Key Settings tab.
- After that, mark the radio button for Not Assigned for the Switch Input Language, the Switch Keyboard Layout, or both if required. Then, click OK.
- Next, click on Apply and select OK. After that, the shortcut will work again.
Read More: How to Hide Columns with Button in Excel
2. Try Another Shortcut Instead
If you are using Windows 7, then the CTRL+SHIFT+0 shortcut to unhide columns may not work at all. You can try the ALT+H+O+U+L shortcut instead to unhide columns in Excel.
3. Repair Office Installation
You can also repair your office installation to get rid of such issues. Follow the steps below to be able to do that.
- First, go to the Windows Apps Settings.
- Then, search for your Office application in the Apps & Features and click on it. Next, click on Modify.
- After that, select Yes on the user account control window.
- Now make a Quick Repair to see if the problem disappears. If it is not, try Online Repair.
Read More: Hide Columns with No Data in Excel
4. Clear Excel Folder
If the issue is still not fixed, then copy %appdata%\Microsoft\Excel and paste it to the address bar of your Windows File Explorer. Then press Enter.
- After that, you will go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel. Now, backup the files in the Excel folder and remove them all. Then open Excel to see if the problem disappears.
Read More: How to Hide Multiple Columns in Excel
5. Run Excel in Safe Mode
You can run Excel in Safe Mode to see if the issue disappears.
- Hold the CTRL key before opening Excel to do that. Don’t release the CTRL key until you are asked to confirm to start Excel in safe mode. Then select Yes.
- If the issue disappears after that, then the Add-ins are causing the problem.
- Then, press ALT+F+T to open Excel Options. Next, go to the Add-ins tab.
- Now disable the Add-ins one by one and run Excel in safe mode to find the problematic add-in.
- After that, you can re-enable the other add-ins.
6. Login to Windows with a New Profile
You can also try logging in to Windows with another profile to see if the problem appears.
Things to Remember
- You can always restart your PC to see if the problem disappears.
- The shortcut may not work at all in Windows 7.
Now you know how to fix the issue if the keyboard shortcut to unhide columns in Excel is not working. Do you have any further queries or suggestions? Please let us know using the comment section below.
- How to Hide and Unhide Columns in Excel
- How to Hide Extra Columns in Excel
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel All at Once
- Unhide Columns Is Not Working in Excel