While Microsoft Excel is usually used for calculations, you may wish to save images with data in some cases and correlate an image with a specific piece of information. In our sample dataset, we have different Car Models, but we also want to add pictures for the specific model. In this post, we will guide you step by step on how to insert picture in Excel cell automatically.
How to Insert Picture in Excel Cell Automatically: 3 Ways
We will see the use of the Insert tab, Shape Fill, and Dropdown List in this article.
Method 1: Insert Picture in Excel Cell Automatically Using Insert Tab
Adding pictures using the Insert Tab is a widely used option in Excel.
- At first, we have to adjust the row height for a better display of the images. So, just select the Rows as shown in the image.
- Then, drag them down to the length you want for your row height.
- Finally, our dataset will look like the following image.
- After that, click on cell C5 and go to the Insert tab, and select Pictures.
As a result, an Insert Picture dialogue box will pop up, and, go to the specific folder or drive you have saved your pictures, select the picture and click Insert.
- Now, we can see the image is not in the correct position.
- At this point, hold the ALT key and resize the images using the corner or side points.
That’s it. You can easily insert pictures this way.
Read More: How to Link Picture to Cell Value in Excel
Method 2: Shape Fill to Insert Picture in Excel Cell Automatically
Shape Fill is another cool way to insert pictures in the cell. In this method, we can easily insert pictures and won’t need to adjust them to the cell size manually. Let’s see how.
- At first, we adjust our row heights as we need, as we did in Method 1.
- Now, we will go to the Insert tab, select Shapes, and select Rectangle.
- Now, we will draw the shape in cell C5 as shown in the below image.
- After that, go to the Format tab, click on the down arrow in Shape Fill and select Pictures as shown in the image below.
- At this point, a dialogue box will pop up, you can choose pictures from your saved file or from online by these options. We have pictures on our computer so click on From a File.
- Now, select the picture and Insert.
You can see, the image is automatically adjusted to the cell size.
Done. No need for further adjustment.
Method 3: Insert Picture in Excel Cell Automatically Using Dropdown List
In our last method, we will use a dropdown list to insert pictures and change images based on cell values.
- First of all, we need a list of data and their pictures.
- Now, we will go to another sheet and select cell B5, and go to ribbon Data>Data Validation.
- So, a dialogue box will pop up. From the dialogue box, we will select List and Range =’Drop Down List’!$B$5:$B$11.
- So, our drop-down list is created.
- After that, we will go to Formulas and select Define Name, as shown in the image below.
- We will define the name as CarLookup and type the following formula in Refers to the box and click OK.
=INDEX('Drop Down List'!$C$5:$C$11,MATCH('Car List'!$B$5,'Drop Down List'!$B$5:$B$11,0))
Here, $C$5:$C$11 refers to images in the Drop Down List sheet and $B$5:$B$11 refers to the Car Models in the same sheet, and $B$5 is the cell in the Car List sheet.
- Now, go to the Drop Down List sheet and select the cell behind the image, and press CTRL+C.
- Now, come back to the Car List sheet and select cell C5 and press CTRL+V, and select Linked to Pictures as shown in the image.
As you can see, the image is linked, which is evident from the formula bar.
- Now, click on the Formula bar and type
- Now, if we select any car model from the Dropdown List the image will change automatically.
Read More: How to Insert Picture in Excel Using Formula
Things to Remember
One of the most common problems people face during these methods is Reference Invalid Error. So, you can do the whole method without creating a header or checking whether INDEX and MATCH functions have valid cell references.
The single most crucial aspect in becoming accustomed to these quick approaches is practice. As a result, we’ve attached a practice workbook where you may practice these methods.
Download Practice Workbook
That’s all for the article. These are 3 different methods to insert pictures in Excel cells automatically. Based on your preferences, you may choose the best alternative. Please leave them in the comments area if you have any questions or feedback.
- How to Insert Picture in Excel Cell Background
- How to Insert Picture in Excel Cell with Text
- How to Insert Image in Excel Cell as Attachment
- How to Lock Image in Excel Cell
- How to Insert a Picture in Excel Header
- How to Insert Multiple Pictures at Once in Excel
- How to Insert Clipart in Excel