Has your Microsoft Excel file suddenly ceased to function and begun to display the Excel Not Responding error message? Further, while attempting to operate on an Excel file, you may occasionally run into a similar problem with a different error message, such as Excel has stopped working. However, when you have some unsaved data, the scenario becomes much more serious. With this in mind, we will show you how to fix excel not responding without losing data with 7 possible solutions. Before jumping into the solutions, have a look at the overview of this article.
Why Is Microsoft Excel Not Responding?
To thoroughly protect the data, crucial tools like Excel must operate without hiccups. The truth is that while opening or saving Excel, many users frequently encounter mistakes. One of the following error messages could appear to us:
- Restart the program
- Close the program
- Wait for the program to respond
The reasons behind these error messages might be:
- When the most recent upgrades for the Excel application are not installed.
- MS Office programs might need to be fixed.
- There could be another process now using the Excel program.
- The functionality of your Excel application may be hampered by previously installed or pre-loaded add-ins.
- Conflict with an installed Excel add-in, process, service, or software.
- The contents of Excel files cause issues.
- Antivirus software is no longer supported or interferes with Excel.
Read More: Excel Not Responding When Opening File
How to Fix When Excel Not Responding Without Losing Data: 7 Effective Solutions
Repairing Excel Not Responding and restoring unsaved data can be very effective through Excel features, System configuration, Excel Macro, keyboard shortcuts, etc. Let’s go through the solutions one by one.
1. Use Keyboard Shortcut to Open Excel in Safe Mode for Fixing Excel Not Responding Without Losing Data
The first solution aims to access the Excel Safe Mode option using a keyboard shortcut. When Excel is launched in safe mode, it ignores settings and features including a different startup location, Customized toolbars, and Excel add-ins. Follow the instructions below to fix the above-mentioned issue.
- Initially, press Ctrl + R keys.
- Subsequently, the Run dialog box pops up.
- Afterward, type excel.exe / safe.
- Lastly, click OK to implement the program.
- Thus, the non-responsive Excel file opens again.
2. Install the Latest Microsoft Office to Repair Excel Not Responding Without Missing Any Data
The objective of the second method is to check the most latest versions, then install them. Since the issue could arise if we haven’t updated to the most recent versions of Windows and Office. To do so, follow the below steps.
- Firstly, click the File tab.
- Consequently, a new window slides into the display.
- There, go to Account → Update Options → Update Now.
- Hence, we update the Office tools.
3. Recompile Macros in Excel to Fix Excel Not Responding Without Losing Data
The third solution emphasizes fixing the not responding issue which also results from the use of improper Macros. To fix it, go to the directions below:
- To begin with, go to the Developer tab and tap Visual Basic.
- Eventually, the Visual Basic window appears.
- Meanwhile, click Tools and then Options.
- As a result, the Options dialog box pops up.
- Later, go to General → check the Compile on Demand box → OK.
- Thus, we remove the chances of appearing error messages in the future.
4. Access File Options to Disable Unwanted Add-Ins
Add-ins occasionally cause Excel to malfunction or become incompatible. By turning off add-ins, we can resolve Excel’s frozen or unresponsive issue. Follow the easy steps:
- First of all, tap the File tab again like in the previous method.
- Next, scroll down and press Options.
- Subsequently, the Excel Options dialog box pops up.
- There, go to Add-ins and then Go.
- See the below picture for a better understanding.
- Further, uncheck all the Add-ins available boxes and hit OK.
- As a result, we disable the Add-ins.
5. Perform Clean Boot to Check for Program Conflict
Several programs and services launch automatically and operate in the background when Windows starts. These programs and services could resist Excel and cause Excel to behave strangely while saving data. We can perform a Clean Boot to assist us to find conflicts between applications. The instructions to implement are as follows.
- Firstly, in the Start search, write MSConfig and click System Configuration as well.
- Consequently, the System Configuration dialog box appears in the display.
- Here, go to General → Check the Load System Services box→ OK.
- Further, click Services → check the Hide all Microsoft services box→ OK.
- Thus, we complete the clean boot.
6. Use Control Panel to Repair Excel Tool
This method shows another practical solution to repair the unresponsive tool. Let’s see some steps for a better understanding.
- Go to Control Panel → and then Programs.
- Afterward, click the Programs and Features option.
- Tap on the Office tool you wish to repair.
- Lastly, choose Repair to thoroughly fix the tool.
7. Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Excel
In the last method, we will completely uninstall and then reinstall the program to solve the problem. Follow the steps given below.
- Click on the tool you wish to uninstall like the previous method and then Uninstall.
- After that, reinstall the tool and get the application to run smoothly.
How to Save Files While Excel Is Not Responding
If you wish to restore the unsaved files, follow the easy steps.
- First, click the Close the program option as shown below.
- Now, reopen the Excel tool.
- Under Document Recovery, click the files you wish to save.
- Check the ‘Yes, I want to view these files later.’ option.
- Press OK to save the files.
Read More: Fix Excel Not Responding and Save Your Work
Download Practice Workbook
Download this workbook and practice while going through the article.
In conclusion, we have discussed how to fix Excel not responding without losing data with 7 possible solutions. Please, leave any further queries or recommendations in the comment box below.
- [Fixed!] Excel Not Responding When Deleting Rows
- [Fixed!] Excel Keeps Crashing When Opening File
- Excel Freezes When Copying and Pasting