In times of deleting too many rows at a time, it is not impossible that Excel will not respond when deleting rows. As it is not an uncommon problem, its solution is also available. I will try to explain 4 possible solutions to Excel not Responding When Deleting Rows problem.
For more clarification, I am going to use a Dataset with Novel Name and Author titled columns.
I have taken 7010 rows of information to explain it more clearly.
Download Practice Workbook
4 Possible Solutions to Excel Not Responding When Deleting Rows Issue
1. Sort Data before Deleting
It is a very simple and effective possible solution to Sort the data before deleting to the problem Excel not responding when deleting rows.
- Firstly, Add Index to observe the Sort effect.
- Then, go to Data and select Sort.
- In the Sort by option, you can choose the way of sorting. I chose Novel Name to Sort.
- Press OK.
Then, you will have the sorted dataset.
- Now, choose the sorted data to delete. I selected to delete the rows containing The Return of the Native Novel as I sorted the dataset by Novel name.
- Right-click to have the Delete option.
- Select the Entire row
- Hit OK.
Thus, we can easily solve the problem.
2. Using Power Query to Solve Excel Not Responding When Deleting Rows
The Power Query is a smart way to solve the problem Excel not responding when deleting rows.
- Select all the data first.
- Then, go to Data and click on From Table/Range.
A Create Table box will appear.
- Input the table range.
- Press OK.
The Power Query table will be created.
- Now, Click on the tab next to the column header.
- Select the cells that you want to delete. Here, I selected the cells containing the name Thomas Hardy.
- Then, press OK.
A new window will open containing the sorted data.
- Click on the Remove Rows to have the option of deleting rows.
- Select your delete type. I selected Remove Duplicates.
Read More: [Fix:] Excel Formula Not Working Returns 0
- [Fixed!] Excel File Not Opening on Double Click (8 Possible Solutions)
- [Fixed!] Excel Freezes When Copying and Pasting (13 Possible Solutions)
- [Fixed!] Excel Keeps Crashing When Opening File (11 Possible Solutions)
3. Uncheck Add-ins to Solve Excel Not Responding When Deleting Rows
Unchecking the Add-ins is a possible solution to solve the not responding when deleting rows. problem.
- Firstly, go to the File
- From there, select
- Click on Add-ins.
- Then, choose Excel Add-ins and click on Go.
- Uncheck one Add-in at a time and press OK.
Read More: [Fix:] Excel File Opens but Does Not Display
4. Open Excel Program in Safe Mode
The Safe Mode application is another possible solution to solve the problem of not responding when deleting rows.
- Go to the Search option from the Taskbar.
- Then, search Run and Click on it.
- Write excel.exe/safe in the Open section and press OK.
This should solve the issue.
Read More: Fix Excel Not Responding and Save Your Work
I have tried to explain 4 possible solutions to the problem of Excel not responding when deleting rows. I hope it will be helpful for Excel users. For any more questions, comment below.
- [Fix:] Excel Formula Not Working Returns 0
- [Fixed!] Why Is My Excel Formula Not Updating Automatically (8 Solutions)
- [Fixed!] Unable to Open Excel Files Directly by Clicking on the File Icon
- How to Fix Excel Not Responding Without Closing (16 Possible Solutions)
- [Fixed!] Excel Not Responding When Running Macro (9 Possible Solutions)
- [Fixed!] Excel Attachments Not Opening from Outlook (6 Quick Solutions)