Military time is a 24-hour time. This timing system is quite different from the standard timing system. There is no AM or PM in military time. The day begins in 0 hours and ends in 24 hours. This is a really special timing system usually used by the military or health workers. For general users it may get a bit confusing. So, to ease their difficulty, in this article, we will show how to add military time in Excel.
How to Add Military Time in Excel: 3 Easy Ways
In this article, we will discuss how to add military time in Excel in three different ways. Firstly, we will use the time formatting option. This a way of formatting a range of cells to store time data. Then we will custom format the cell to add military time. Here, we will have military time without colon in between the hours and minutes. Finally, we will use the TEXT function to add the military time in Excel. This function too will customize the standard time and change it into a military time without colon.
1. Using Time Formatting
Time formatting is a way to format selected cells to store time values. In this method, we will format some cells and store time there in military time format. The time will be formatted in a 24-hour basis and the AM and PM annotations will not be there.
- To begin with, select the cells where you want to add the military time.
- In this case, the cells are in the range C5:C10.
- Then, go to the Home tab.
- From there, select the arrow sign at the bottom right corner of the Number option.
- As a result, the Format Cell prompt will pop up.
- From the options under Category, first, select Time.
- Then, select the military time format.
- Finally, click OK.
- As a result, the standard time will be changed to military time.
Read More: How to Use IF Formula with Dates
2. Using Custom Formatting
Custom formatting is a method to customize the cells according to the data they will be storing. In this instance, we will customize our desired cells to add military time. Here, the time format will have no colon in between them.
- Firstly, choose the cells where you want to add the military time.
- In our case, we will choose cells in the range of C5:C10.
- After that, go to the Home tab in the ribbon.
- Then, choose the arrow sign at the bottom right corner of the Number option.
- Consequently, the Format Cell dialogue box will be on the screen.
- From the options under Category, first, select Custom.
- Then, type “HHMM” in the Type box.
- Click OK.
- Consequently, military time will be added to the selected cells.
3. Applying TEXT Function
The TEXT function allows users to display numbers according to their needs. It formats the numbers and displays them accordingly. In this method illustration, we will use the TEXT function to format standard time into military time. The function will format the standard time into an hour-minute format and the military time will have no colon in between the hour and minute.
- Select the D5 cell and write the following formula down,
- Then, hit Enter.
- Consequently, the standard time will be changed into military time.
- Finally, move the cursor down to Autofill the rest of the cells accordingly.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook here.
In this article, we have discussed 3 effective ways to add military time in Excel. This will allow users to display military time when needed. The users not familiar to military time will be able to interchange between the standard time and the military time very easily after going through this article. Please let us know in the comment section if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback.