A pie chart is a graph that visualizes data in a circular diagram. It is mainly used to represent sales and financial calculations. In Microsoft Excel we often use it but sometimes we face problems with grouping data. In this article, I am going to share with you solved Excel pie chart not grouping data.
Excel Pie Chart Not Grouping Data: with Easy Fix
In the following article, I have shared 3 simple steps to solve Excel pie charts not grouping data. Stay tuned to learn more.
Suppose we have a dataset of a company’s global sales percentage in different countries.
You will find some sales percentages are repeated in the data table.
Let’s select the dataset and insert a pie chart from the “Recommended Charts” option.
In the “Insert Chart” window choose “Pie Chart” and click OK to continue.
Here we have our pie chart but as you can see the duplicates are not grouped in the chart. Now we will solve this problem with some easy and simple steps.
Step 1: Add a New Column to the Existing Dataset
- Firstly, we will start by entering a new column just by the side of the data table.
- Then we will fill them with “1” to get the duplicates counted.
Step 2: Create a Pivot Table from Dataset
- In this second step choosing the whole dataset, we will create a pivot table from the “Insert” option.
- A new window will pop up named “PivotTable from table or range”.
- From the new window choose “Existing worksheet” and select a location from the worksheet where you want to make your pivot table.
- Press OK to continue.
- From the right pane check mark all three options in the “Pivot Table Fields”.
- Here we have successfully created our pivot table by grouping all the data.
Step 3: Group Data in Pie Chart Using Recommended Charts Option
- In this final step, we will choose data from the pivot table and go to “Recommended Charts” from the “Insert” option which will solve the Excel pie chart not grouping data.
- From the new window of “Insert Chart” click “Pie” and press OK.
- As you can see we have now created our pie chart grouping all the data in Excel.
Read More: How to Group Small Values in Excel Pie Chart
Things to Remember
- You can group data by directly inserting a pivot table in the worksheet if you want. Here in the first step, I have added a new column to make a better understanding of the duplicates.
Download Practice Workbook
In this article, I have tried to cover all the simple steps and solve this problem. Take a tour of the practice workbook and download the file to practice by yourself. Hope you find it useful. Please inform us in the comment section about your experience. We, the Exceldemy team, are always responsive to your queries. Stay tuned and keep learning.