You may find difficulties in saving the Excel file in the shared network drive. They often show the message “Document not saved”. If this problem baffles you and you are clueless about what can be done, this article can be a great resource to help out. In this article, we will discuss how we can resolve the issue of the document not being saved in the Excel network drive with adequate explanations.
5 Possible Solutions for Document Not Saved in Excel Network Drive
The primary reasons why saving documents in the network drive could be various reasons, like no existence of a file path, having not enough spaces, not enough permissions, etc. although the number of problems is quite a few, we mostly can eradicate them by the below 5 solutions.
Solution 1: Change Subkeys in Registry Editor
The registry editor serves as the visual tool to modify the windows applications’ different register values. Tweaking those values can bring significant changes in the performance of the applications.
- First, type run in the windows search bar and press enter on the keyboard.
- In the new window name Run, type regedit on the box and click on OK.
- After clicking on OK, the Registry Editor window will open.
- In the address window, enter the following address:
typing this address will take the user to a new folder name Option.
Then right-click on the Options folder and then go to New and then click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
After clicking OK, a new value will be there alongside the previous ones.
Rename the value by right-clicking the mouse and then double click to open a new window.
- In that window, input 1 in the Valid Data field.
- Click OK after this.
- After setting the value, there should be no problems regarding saving Excel files on a network drive.
Solution 2: Save Workbook on Local Hard Disk
Work around the issue of not being able to save in the desired folder can be solved by simply saving the file to the local hard drive. And then share the file through any kind of USB drive or online sharing medium. The user just has to save it in such a folder that has enough permissions.
Solution 3: Modify Windows Antivirus Program
Antivirus programs installed on the pc can access the pc and create problems for the saved Excel file and folders. Disabling the antivirus can prevent them from accessing the folder and might resolve the issue.
- In the beginning, click on the star logo on the windows and click on the settings options.
- Then on the settings options window, search for the Windows Security Settings in the Search box and select the option.
- Then on the Windows security settings, click on the Virus & Protection option.
- Then the Virus and threat protection window opens.
- Then from Virus and threat protection settings, click on the Manage Settings.
- In the next window, you will notice that all kinds of protection settings like Real-time protection, Cloud delivered protection, and Automatic sample protection are turned on.
- Turned off every single one of them.
- Then close the window.
- After that, the problem of documents not being saved Excel network drive should not be present.
Solution 4: Repair Microsoft Office
Quick Repair is considered to be the jack of trade type solution for any kind of issue related to Excel. This document not saving in the network drive issue is no exception to this.
- To get started, go to the Start menu and then to the Settings.
- Then in the Settings window, click on the Apps options.
- Next, in the Apps and features window, search for the Office in the search bar.
- After that, click on the version of the MS Office installed on your pc and then click on Modify.
- Then in the Apps and features window, search for the Office in the search bar.
- Next, click on the version of MS Office installed on your pc and then click on Modify.
- After clicking on modify, a new window will spawn, named How would you like to repair your Office Programs.
- Then choose Quick Repair, and then click Repair.
- After quick repairing the Excel application through settings, there should be no problems regarding saving Excel files on a network drive.
Solution 5: Notify Network Administrators
Sometimes the network would not allow users enough rights to access the document or the document save location. To resolve this, the user might choose to contact the supervisor or the administrator for the appropriate permission for accessing the saved file location.
After following all of the above solutions, if still, you are not able to resolve the issue, you may better try the following recommendations. Hope they come in handy.
Check Whether You Can Save the File in Some Other Folder
Sometimes some folders have security or permission issues. Which is hard to resolve and time-consuming. Users instead can simply choose to save it in a different folder and check whether this issue persists.
Delete All Files in the Saved Location with Back-Up
You can try deleting all the files in the C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData \Roaming\Microsoft\Excel path. Doing so might resolve the issue, otherwise, try to restore the files in the recycle bin.
Rename Your File
You can also try renaming your file, tweaking some words can make a difference as some words can in restrict mode.
Use Different Extensions
Setting different extensions instead of xlsx can solve this issue. Xls could be a better alternative.
Move Worksheet to a New Workbook
Try moving the sheets to a new workbook, if the parent workbook is the issue, then the problem would go away.
Check for Interruptions
You need to check whether the saving process is interrupted by any means of the external network, drive, or even the software. Identifying those interruptions and removing them can alleviate the excel file not saving on the network drive issue
To sum it up, the issue “document not saved Excel network drive” is answered here in 5 different ways. Starting from using the tweaking Subkeys, then saving the workbook in the local hard drive, and modifying the windows antiviruses. Quick repairing the Excel etc. Finally showing the quick repair option of the Excel. Lastly, there are some recommendations are provided for your convenience.
Feel free to ask any questions or feedback through the comment section. Any suggestion for the betterment of the Exceldemy community will be highly appreciable.
- Save Excel Files as Text Without Quotes (4 Methods)
- How to Save Multiple Excel Sheets as One PDF (2 Easy Methods)
- How to Save Excel as PDF without Cutting Off (4 Suitable Ways)
- Excel VBA: Create Invoice and Save PDF Format (with Quick Steps)
- How to Save Excel as PDF on One Page (3 Easy Methods)
- Save Excel as CSV with Double Quotes (3 Simplest Methods)