While working in Microsoft Excel Sometimes we feel the need to create and edit comments so that other users can see and reply according to them. I also add comments while working so that I don’t forget to change or edit the dataset. It’s really helpful. Today in this article, I am sharing with you about creating and editing comments in excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
4 Suitable Examples of Creating and Editing Comments in Excel
In the following, I have described 3 suitable examples of creating and editing comments in excel.
Suppose we have a dataset of some Employee Names and their Sales month-wise. Now we are going to create and edit comments on our worksheet. Stay tuned!
Example 1: Creating a Comment for a Cell
To create a comment for a cell you can utilize the review option from the top ribbon in excel. Follow the instructions below to create comments.
- Above all, select any cell (D7) from the worksheet and press the “New Comment” option from the “Review” tab.
- Next, type your desired comment and press the “Post” icon to complete the creation of the comment.
- Finally, we have successfully created a comment in the selected cell. You can also utilize the reply option if multiple users are sharing the same file.
Example 2: Editing Comments in Excel
After creating a comment sometimes we need to edit the comment for further work. You can easily edit the comment if you want.
- Simply, press the “Edit Comment” icon from the popped-up comment.
- Then type your desired comment and press “Post”.
- In summary, you will get the edited comment for the cell.
Example 3: Showing All Comments Using Review Option
Imagine you have added multiple comments in various cells. But whenever you want to watch the comments you need to put your mouse cursor over the cell which is a little bit irritating. For this, I am explaining a simple technique to show all the comments in all cells.
- To start with, select all the cells in your worksheet and click the “Show Comment” icon from the “Review” tab.
- Thereafter, a right pan will appear displaying all the comments for working advantages.
Example 4: Removing Comments from Cells
Meanwhile, after a task is completed you will need to clean the worksheet by removing or deleting comments from all cells.
Suppose we have multiple comments on our worksheet. Now we will remove them with proper tools.
- First, select multiple cells which have comments inserted. Then, click the “Delete” option from the “Review” feature.
- Without any hesitation, you will see all the comments are removed. Simple isn’t it?
- How to Populate Comment from Another Cell in Excel (and Vice Versa)
- [Fixed!] Comments in Excel Far Away from Cell (3 Possible Solutions)
- How to Extract Comments in Excel (3 Suitable Examples)
- [Solved:] Insert Comment Not Working in Excel (2 Simple Solutions)
Add and Edit Notes in Excel
Although, users like to use notes instead of comments which is much handier. But notes do have some limitations like other users can’t add replies to notes. On the contrary, multiple users have to edit and change the notes. Let’s begin our journey by adding and editing notes in an excel worksheet.
- Choose a cell (D6) and click the right button on the mouse to get the options list.
- Just press the “New Note” option to add a note.
- Within a blink of an eye, a note box will rise up. Write down your comment and that’s it, we have added a note with the cell.
- In order to edit the note similarly, click the right button of the mouse to have options.
- Now, choose “Edit Note” to continue.
- Thus, edit your note to change it.
Show All Notes in Excel
Alongside without moving your mouse to view comments click the show notes feature to get all the notes.
Here in this worksheet, we have multiple notes. Let’s visualize them together in the cell.
- Presently, select the whole dataset and choose “Show All Notes” from the “Review” option.
- Hereafter, all the notes will pop up which was hidden.
Hide and Delete All Notes in Excel
Fortunately, we have the feature to hide and delete notes in excel.
- In the same fashion, choose all cells with comments in them and press the “Show All Notes”.
- As a result, all the notes will hide inside the cells. If we press the button again notes will appear again.
- Beneath, delete notes by selecting cells and hitting the right button of the mouse.
- In short, press the “Delete Note” feature to complete the task.
- As an output, you will see the notes are deleted.
Convert Notes to Comments
Once creating notes you might want to shift to comments for a better working experience. In excel you can achieve it with a single click. To do so-
- Selecting cells go to the “Convert to Comments” feature from the “Notes” drop-down list.
- Specifically, the cells with notes will convert to comments within a blink. Simple isn’t it?
Things to Remember
- In order to add a note to a cell, you can use the keyboard shortcut- Shift+F2 key to creating a note inside the cell.
In this article, I have tried to cover all the examples of creating and editing comments in excel. Take a tour of the practice workbook and download the file to practice by yourself. I hope you find it helpful. Please inform us in the comment section about your experience. We, the ExcelDemy team, are always responsive to your queries. Stay tuned and keep learning.