This article illustrates how to convert square feet to square meters in Excel. As both units are often used, you may need to convert from one to another if required. Fortunately, Excel has a built-in function to convert units. We have used the function and a custom formula to convert square feet to square meters in this article.
How to Convert Square Feet to Square Meters in Excel: 2 Methods
Assume you have a dataset where houses are categorized based on their sizes in square feet. Now you need to convert the sizes from square feet units to square meters units.
Then follow the methods below to easily do that in Excel.
1. Convert Square Feet to Square Meters with Excel CONVERT Function
The CONVERT function in Excel allows us to convert a number from one measurement system to another. Follow the steps below to convert square feet to square meters using this Excel function.
- First, type =conv in cell D5 and then press the Tab key on your keyboard. Then you will see the CONVERT function asking for three arguments (number, from_unit, and to_unit).
- The number argument asks for the number you want to convert. Now click on cell C5 and type a comma (,) after that.
- Next, you will see a list of units for the from_unit argument. As you need to convert the square feet unit, scroll down and find it. Then, press the Tab key or double-click on the unit.
- Now type a comma (,) again and you will see a list of units for the to_unit As you need to convert to the square meters unit, scroll down to find it. Then press the Tab key or double-click on it as earlier.
- Now close the parenthesis. Then the formula will look like the following.
- Press enter after that to see the following result.
- Finally, use the Fill Handle icon to apply the formula to the cells below as shown in the following picture.
Read More: How to Convert Feet to Meters in Excel
2. Convert Square Feet to Square Meters Using a Custom Formula
You can follow this method to learn how the CONVERT function in the earlier method converted the square feet unit to the square meters unit.
We know that 1 meter = 3.2808399 feet. Therefore, 1 foot is equal to 1/3.2808399 meter. So, 1 square foot is equal to 1/3.2808399^2 or 0.09290304 meters. Therefore, you can convert any number from square feet to square meters either by dividing it by 3.2808399^2 or multiplying it by 0.09290304.
- Now, enter the following formula in cell D5 to get the same result as in the earlier method.
- Alternatively, you can apply the following formula in cell D5. Now see that the result remains the same.
- Now, drag the Fill Handle icon to copy the formula to the cells below.
Read More: Convert Cubic Feet to Cubic Meters in Excel
You can convert square meters to square feet by doing the exact opposite. That means you need to multiply the number by 3.2808399^2 or divide by 0.09290304.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from the download button below.
Now you know how to convert square feet to square meters in Excel. Which method did you prefer? Do you have any further queries or suggestions? Please let us know in the comment section below. Stay with us and keep learning.
- How to Convert MM to CM in Excel
- Converting CM to Inches in Excel
- How to Convert CM to Feet and Inches in Excel
- How to Convert Meters to Feet in Excel
- How to Convert Meters to Miles in Excel
- Millimeter(mm) to Square Meter Formula in Excel
- How to Convert Lbs to Kg in Excel
- How to Convert Kg to Lbs in Excel
- How to Convert Radians to Degrees in Excel