Unit conversion is a common task in our day-to-day lives. In countless situations, you may need to convert decimal feet to feet-inches, and this is where Microsoft Excel excels. With this intention, this article wishes to show you 4 methods of converting decimal feet to feet-inches using Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
4 Methods to Convert Decimal Feet to Feet and Inches in Excel
In order to convert decimal feet to feet-inches, there are 4 methods that you can employ. So, without further ado, let’s see them in action.
Throughout this article, we will use the table below which shows the Employee Names and their corresponding Heights in feet, in this case, our goal is to convert the Height from feet to feet-inches.
1. Using the INT & MOD Functions
- Firstly, select a cell, as an example I have selected the D5 cell.
- Secondly, enter this formula in the D5 cell to directly convert decimal feet to feet-inches. Conversely, you can copy and paste this formula from here.
In this case, the C5 cell refers to the Height in decimal feet. In addition to this, using the INT function in conjunction with the MOD function is a popular way to convert decimal feet to feet-inches.
- Next, display the results by pressing ENTER.
- Finally, use the Fill Handle tool in order to complete the conversion of Height in decimal feet to feet-inches.
- How to Convert MM to CM in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
- Converting CM to Inches in Excel (2 Simple Methods)
- How to Convert CM to Feet and Inches in Excel (3 Effective Ways)
- Convert Cubic Feet to Cubic Meters in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
2. Using ROUNDDOWN Function to Convert Decimal Feet to Feet and Inches in Excel
Our second method utilizes the ROUNDDOWN function in Excel to convert decimal feet to feet-inches. It’s simple & easy so, just follow along.
Steps 01: Obtain the Feet from the Height
- To begin, choose a cell, for this example, I have chosen the D5 cell.
- Next, enter the ROUNDDOWN function and provide the 2 necessary arguments. Here, the C5 cell refers to the Height in feet while the 0 tells the ROUNDDOWN function to display only the integer value.
Steps 02: Extract Inch from the Height
- Secondly, choose the E5 cell and enter the following expression, which you can copy from here.
- Now, click ENTER to get the results.
Steps 03: Combine Feet & Inch
- Thirdly, repeat the same process for the F5 cell while typing in the following formula.
- In turn, this links the feet and the inch into a single column.
- Lastly, use the Fill Handle to drag down and fill up the table.
- Eventually, the Height in decimal feet gets converted to feet-inches.
3. Using INT & TEXT Functions
The third method uses the INT & TEXT functions to transform decimal feet to feet-inches therefore, follow these simple steps.
- To start, select a target cell, for instance, I have chosen the D5 cell.
- Secondly, copy and paste this formula and enter it into the D5 cell.
=INT(C5) & " ft " & TEXT(MOD(C5,1)*12, "# ??/16") & "in"
In the above expression, the C5 cell represents the Height in feet and the TEXT function enables you to format the number.
- Then, press ENTER to show the results and utilize the Fill Handle tool to fill out the rows.
4. Using IF, ROUNDDOWN, and MOD Functions
Last but not least, we combine the IF, ROUNDDOWN, and MOD functions to obtain the decimal feet to feet-inches. Therefore, let’s see the process in detail.
- To begin with, navigate to the D5 cell and insert the expression given below.
=IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(C5)),”n/a”,IF(OR(C5>=1,C5<=-1),ROUNDDOWN(C5,0)&"'-"&TEXT(MROUND(MOD(ABS(C5*12),12),1/16),"0 ##/###")&"""",TEXT(MROUND(ABS(C5*12),1/16)*SIGN(C5),"# ##/###")&""""))
In this case, the C5 cell represents the Height in Feet.
- Then, use the Fill Handle to copy the formula into the cells below.
Eventually, your results should look like the screenshot shown below.
To summarise, this article describes how to convert decimal feet to feet-inches using Microsoft Excel. Make sure to download the practice files & do it yourself. Please inform us in the comment section if you have any queries. We, the Exceldemy team, are happy to answer your queries.
- How to Convert Meters to Miles in Excel (3 Simple Methods)
- Convert Meters to Feet in Excel (4 Useful Methods)
- How to Convert inch to mm in Excel (3 Simple Methods)
- Convert Millimeters (mm) to Inches (in) in Excel (3 Quick Methods)
- How to Convert Square Feet to Square Meters in Excel (2 Quick Methods)
- Millimeter(mm) to Square Meter Formula in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- Convert Feet to Meters in Excel (4 Simple Methods)