Conversion of units is very common in any kind of calculation in mathematics, engineering, and other fields. This is because different unit standards are available. One of the easiest ways is to multiply or divide them with the corresponding value and convert them to the desired unit. Without this technique, other techniques are also available. In this article, we will show 2 techniques to convert inches to cm in Excel with proper explanations.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
2 Quick Methods to Convert Inches to Cm in Excel
Here, we will show a total of 3 techniques to convert from inches to cm in Excel. For this purpose, we took a dataset of measurement of a box of 3 dimensions. Now we will convert them into centimeters (Cm) from Inches in Excel.
1. Multiply by Conversion Rate
In the first method, we will show the use of multiplication by conversion rate to get inches value in centimeters. We can do this in the following ways.
1.1 Using Direct Multiplication Formula
We can convert inches to cm by simple multiplication. It is the conventional way to convert from one unit to another. We already know that,
1 inch=2.54 cm
So, if we multiply inches values by 2.54., we will easily get values in centimeters. Now, follow the steps further.
- We added a column named Centimeter for the converted values.
- Now, go to Cell D4 of the Centimeter column.
- Put the following formula based on simple multiplication.
- Now, press the Enter button.
We get the converted value of corresponding Cell C4.
- Now, copy the formula downwards.
All dimensions are converted into centimeters now.
Read More: Converting CM to Inches in Excel (2 Simple Methods)
1.2 Using Paste Special Tool
You can also use the Paste Special to convert from Inch to Cm by multiplication. Follow the steps to the end.
- First, write the conversion rate in Cell C8.
We input the conversion value of Inch and Cm. Cell C8 contains 2.54, which is equivalent to 1 inch.
- Now, copy Cells C4 to C6 by pressing Ctrl+C.
- Paste the values on Cells D4 to D6 by pressing Ctrl+V.
Here, we applied the simple copy and paste method.
- Now, copy Cell C8.
- Then, select Cells D4:D6.
- Now, press the right button of the mouse and get the Context Menu.
- Choose the Paste Special option from the Context Menu.
- The Paste Special window will appear.
- Check the Multiply option from the Operation section.
- Finally, press OK.
We get the converted values successfully.
Read More: How to Convert CM to Feet and Inches in Excel (3 Effective Ways)
- How to Convert Millimeters (mm) to Inches (in) in Excel (3 Quick Methods)
- Convert Square Feet to Square Meters in Excel (2 Quick Methods)
- How to Convert MM to CM in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
- Convert Inches to Square Feet in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
2. Use Excel CONVERT Function
In this section, we will use the CONVERT function. This CONVERT function can disciple from one unit to another unit with one click.
The CONVERT function converts a number from one measurement system to another.
- Go to Cell D4 and put the formula based on the CONVERT function.
- Press the Enter button.
Inch has converted to Cm here.
- Pull the Fill Handle icon downwards.
We get the desired result.
Read More: How to Convert Inches to Feet and Inches in Excel (5 Handy Methods)
Convert Inches to Cm and Other Units with a Dynamic Excel Formula
So far, we have learned 2 quick methods to convert inches to centimeters in this article. Now I will show you a formula that can be used not only to convert inches to cm, but it allows many more unit-conversion tasks. This technique involves the use of data validation and the VLOOKUP function along with the previously used CONVERT function.
The VLOOKUP function looks for the value at the leftmost column of a table and then returns a value in the row from a column you specify. By default, the table must be in ascending order.
- First, we create a list of units of Length on another sheet named Units.
- We added rows for Unit conversion.
One side is From and the other side is To.
- Now, select Cell B5.
- Choose Data Tools from the Data tab.
- Finally, select the Data Validation option.
- Data Validation window will appear.
- Select List as Allow.
- Then, click on the Source box.
- Choose the cells of the Units sheet.
- We can see an arrow sign on Cell B5.
- Similarly, apply this to Cell D5.
- Now, click the arrow on Cell B5. Choose the desired unit from the list. We choose “in” here.
- Similarly, choose “cm” on Cell D5.
- Now, put the following formula at Cell D4.
- Now, hit the Enter button.
We see “0” on Cell D4.
- Now, put any value on Cell B4 and get the converted value on Cell D4.
Read More: How to Convert inch to mm in Excel (3 Simple Methods)
In this article, we described how to convert inches to cm in Excel. We added formulas and other techniques as well. I hope this will satisfy your needs. Please have a look at our website Exceldemy.com and give your suggestions in the comment box.
- How to Convert Feet to Meters in Excel (4 Simple Methods)
- Convert Meters to Miles in Excel (3 Simple Methods)
- How to Convert Decimal Feet to Feet and Inches in Excel (3 Methods)
- Convert Meters to Feet in Excel (4 Useful Methods)
- How to Convert Feet to Inches in Excel (4 Quick Methods)
- Convert Cubic Feet to Cubic Meters in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- How to Convert Feet and Inches to Decimal in Excel (2 Easy Methods)