Converting one dimension to another dimension seems to be a difficult task most of the time. We need to convert inch to mm, mm to feet, kg to pound, and so on. By knowing how to convert inch to mm in Excel, we can convert any values in inch to mm very easily in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
3 Methods to Convert inch to mm in Excel
Various dimensions to other dimensions can be converted using Excel very easily. To convert inches to mm in Excel, we have made a dataset of the vertical Distance (in Inch) of pumps from the basement of an effluent treatment plant based on the given Pump Number. The dataset is like this.
We shall now discuss useful methods to convert inch to mm in Excel.
1. Applying CONVERT Function
Firstly, we have to select the cell to where we need to convert from inch to mm. Here, in the picture below, we have selected the D5 cell which is the row of Pump 1.Then to convert inch to mm, we need to apply the following formula.
Here, C6 cell refers to the Distance of Pump-1 from basement in inch, “in” (from_unit argument) refers to inch and “mm” (to_unit argument) refers to millimeter which is the converted dimension from inch.
We can then convert every cell with the dimension inch to mm by using the Fill Handle. We need to drag down the reference D6 cell by holding the cursor on the right bottom corner of the cell like this.
It will give the converted dimensions like this.
- Convert Inches to Square Feet in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- How to Convert CM to Feet and Inches in Excel (3 Effective Ways)
- Convert Cubic Feet to Cubic Meters in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- How to Convert Feet and Inches to Decimal in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- Millimeter(mm) to Square Meter Formula in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
2. Using Manual Method to Convert inch to mm in Excel
We can also use a manual method to convert inches to mm. We know that 1 inch equals 25.4 mm. We can write in the D6 cell like this.
Here, C6 cell refers to the Distance of Pump-1 from the basement which value needs to be converted to mm. The sign “*” refers to Multiplication. The number 25.4 refers to 1 inch equals 25.4 mm.
We can then use Fill Handle to fill up other cells from D7 to D11 which follow the same conversion of reference cell D6.
3. Utilizing VBA Code to Convert inch to mm in Excel
Lastly, we can convert inches to mm using VBA through a simple process. For doing this, we need to follow the below steps.
Step 01: Go to Visual Basic Window
- Firstly, we need to look for the Developer tab in the Home
- Then, we should select Visual Basic from the Developer
Step 02: Open a Module from Insert Button
After finishing the first step, we need to go to the Insert button and then we need to click on Module.
Step 03: Generate the Code and Run it
Clicking on Module a window will appear on the screen.
Next, We need to copy and paste the following code into this window.
Sub Convert_VBA() Dim k As Integer For k = 6 To 12 Cells(k, 4).Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Convert(Cells(k, 3).Value, "in", "mm") Next k End Sub
Finally, we should select Run from the top ribbon and close the window. (Also, you may press the F5 key).
And at last, we need to go to our spreadsheet where we’ll find the conversion of an inch to mm.
Things to Remember
- We need to use signs like commas, colon, etc. inside the CONVERT function carefully. Otherwise, we won’t get the desired converted value.
- For the manual method, we have to always use 1 inch equals 25.4 mm
- For extended use, applying the CONVERT function is more suitable than the manual method. Because it can give relief from creating mistakes to take 25.4 as the relation between inch and mm.
How to convert dimensions in excel is a very useful topic in Excel. In this article, we can get a clear concept of conversion between inch and mm with both the CONVERT function and the manual method.
- How to Convert Feet to Meters in Excel (4 Simple Methods)
- Convert Meters to Miles in Excel (3 Simple Methods)
- How to Convert Decimal Feet to Feet and Inches in Excel (3 Methods)
- Convert Meters to Feet in Excel (4 Useful Methods)
- How to Convert Feet to Inches in Excel (4 Quick Methods)
- Convert Square Feet to Square Meters in Excel (2 Quick Methods)
- How to Convert MM to CM in Excel (4 Easy Methods)