In this article, we will learn how to create Construction Bar Chart in Excel. The construction Bar Chart is a part of construction management. It is used for the representation of the schedule or activities of a project. You can easily make this chart in Excel. So, without any delay, let’s start the discussion.
Download Practice Workbook
To practice by yourself, download the following workbook.
What Is Construction Bar Chart?
The Construction Bar Chart is a part of construction management. It is used for the representation of the schedule or activities of a project. It helps the management to track the timeline, records etc. of any project.
Step-by-Step Procedures to Create Construction Bar Chart in Excel
We have a dataset of the task schedule of a project. From this dataset, we will show you step-by-step procedures to create a Construction Bar Chart in Excel.
STEP 1: Make Dataset Ready
- For our task, we have taken the following dataset.
- Here, this dataset contains the task schedule of a project.
- In this dataset, column C indicates the Start Date of each task.
- And, column D carries the End Date of each task of the project.
- Firstly, we need to find out the duration of each task.
- To do so, we have to calculate the difference between the End and Start date.
- So, write down the following formula in the E5 cell.
- After that, click Enter to see the duration of the task.
- Here, the duration of the Proposal task was 10 days.
- Now, drag down the formula with the Fill Handle tool in the E6 to E16 range.
- In this way, we can calculate the duration of the remaining tasks.
- As a result, you can observe the task duration of this project.
Read More: How to Create Bar Chart with Multiple Categories in Excel
STEP 2: Insert Construction Bar Chart
Now, we will insert a bar chart and then shape the chart in the form of a Construction Bar Chart.
2.1: Insert Bar Chart
- In this step, we will insert Construction Bar Chart from the dataset.
- Now, select the C4:C16 range.
- After selection, go to the Insert tab.
- In the Charts group of the ribbon, drop down the Insert Column or Bar Chart selection menu.
- Instantly, a wizard will come out and select the Stacked Bar icon under the 2-D Bar field.
- As a result, the bar has been created.
Read More: How to Create Stacked Bar Chart with Dates in Excel (3 Examples)
2.2: Add Duration to Bar Chart
- In the next step, we will insert other information into the chart.
- To do so, click on the chart and right-click on the mouse.
- Instantly, a dialog box will pop up.
- From the dialog box, click on the Select Data option.
- As a result, the Select Data Source window will come out.
- Under the Legend Entries (Series) field, click on the Add button.
- After clicking the button, Edit Series named dialog box has come out.
- Then, you have to insert the header and then the data.
- So, in the Series Name field, click on the box and select the E4 cell.
- Similarly, in the Series Values field, select the E5:E16 after clicking in the box.
- Alternatively, we can write the information in the corresponding fields.
- Here, the format is “Sheet Name!Cell”.
- So, in the Series Name field, write =’construction bar chart’!$E$4.
- Similarly, in the Series Values field, write =’construction bar chart’!$E$5:$E$16.
- Here, we have saved our Excel Sheet name as construction bar chart.
- Now, press Enter to proceed.
Read More: How to Create a Bar Chart in Excel with Multiple Bars (3 Ways)
- How to Make a Bar Graph in Excel without Numbers
- Plot Stacked Bar Chart from Excel Pivot Table (2 Examples)
- How to Make a Bar Graph in Excel with 2 Variables (3 Easy Ways)
- Show Percentage in Bar Chart in Excel (3 Handy Methods)
- How to Show Number and Percentage in Excel Bar Chart
2.3: Put Axis Labels in Bar Chart
- In the next step, we will insert the axis levels.
- Under the Horizontal(Category) Axis Labels field, click on the Edit button.
- Instantly, the Axis Labels dialog box will appear.
- In the Axis Label Range field, write =’construction bar chart’!$B$5:$B$16.
- Now, press OK to proceed.
- So, our inserting information is completed.
- Now, click on OK to observe the modified chart.
- In the following chart, you can watch the information on the dataset.
- Here, the starting date and duration of the tasks are shown.
Read More: Excel Bar Chart Side by Side with Secondary Axis
2.4: Convert Bar Chart into Construction Bar Chart
- Now, click on any of the blue bars of the chart.
- Then, right-click on the mouse and select the drop-down menu of the Fill option.
- Instantly, options of color will open up.
- From there, give a tick on the No Fill option.
- As a result, your Construction Bar Chart will look like this.
Read More: Excel Bar Graph Color with Conditional Formatting (3 Suitable Examples)
STEP 3: Format Bar Chart
In this step, we will do the modification of our bar chart.
3.1: Fix Sequence
- In the chart, there is a problem.
- In this Construction Bar Chart, tasks are listed in reverse.
- Here, the last task is on top of the chart and the first task is given at the bottom.
- For this reason, we will fix the issue in this step.
- So, double-click on the tasks that indicate the vertical axis.
- Instantly, right side of the Excel Sheet, the Format Axis named window will open up.
- In this window, select the Axis Options icon.
- After that, under the Axis Position header, give a tick on Categories in reverse order.
- As a result, we have been able to settle the issue.
Read More: How to Make a Bar Graph with Multiple Variables in Excel
- How to Create Stacked Bar Chart for Multiple Series in Excel
- Sort Bar Chart Without Sorting Data in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- How to Color Bar Chart by Category in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- Change Bar Chart Width Based on Data in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- How to Make a Bar Graph in Excel with 3 Variables (3 Easy Ways)
3.2: Format Axis Level
- In this step, you have to format the axis label for a better looking.
- That’s why we need to know the maximum and minimum range.
- Here, our minimum value will be 5th May 2017 when the Proposal started.
- And, our maximum value will be 30th June 2019 when the project ends.
- So, we will replace the date in the number format and find out the minimum and maximum values.
- To do so, select the C5 cell and click on the drop-down menu of the Number Format in the Number group.
- Now, select General from the menu.
- As a result, the date format is converted to the number format.
- This is our minimum range of the horizontal axis.
- So, we have remembered the lower range.
- After that, reconvert the number into date format.
- To do so, select the cell and click on the drop-down menu of the Number Format in the Number group.
- Then, from the menu select Short Date.
- As a result, the data is reconverted into the Date format.
- Similarly, do the same for the C16 cell and remember the maximum range.
- Now, click the horizontal axis and right-click on the mouse.
- Instantly, a menu will open up and select Format Axis from there.
- Now, the Format Axis window has opened up on the right side of the Excel Sheet.
- Then, under the Axis Options header, you can see a box for declaring the minimum and maximum range.
- Here, we have set 43220 and 43650 as our minimum and maximum range.
- As a result, the chart will look like the following figure.
Read More: How to Create a 3D Bar Chart in Excel (3 Suitable Examples)
3.3: Insert Chart Title
- In this step, we will insert the chart title.
- To do so, click on the chart and press the (+) icon.
- After that, give a tick on the Chart Title.
- Instantly, the title will come out.
- Now, double-click on the Chart Title and type the title.
- We have given our chart title Construction Bar Chart.
Read More: How to Make a Simple Bar Graph in Excel (with Easy Steps)
3.4: Change Chart Style
- In the following step, we will change the chart style and color.
- To change the color, click on any bar of the chart.
- After selection, right-click on the mouse and select the drop-down menu of the Fill icon.
- From the options, you can select the color as per your wish.
- We have selected the following color.
Read More: How to Change Bar Chart Color Based on Category in Excel (3 Methods)
- Finally, we have successfully created Construction Bar Chart in Excel.
Read More: Difference Between Excel Histogram and Bar Graph
In this article, we have demonstrated how to create a construction bar chart in excel. There is a practice workbook at the beginning of the article. Go ahead and give it a try. To read similar articles, check out the ExcelDemy website. Last but not least, please use the comment section below to post any questions or make any suggestions you might have.
- How to Create a Bar Chart with Standard Deviation in Excel
- Sort Bar Chart in Descending Order in Excel (4 Easy Ways)
- How to Create & Customize Bar of Pie Chart in Excel
- Create Overlapping Bar Chart in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- How to Make a Double Bar Graph in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- Create Clustered Stacked Bar Chart in Excel
- How to Add Horizontal Line to Bar Chart in Excel (3 Easy Ways)