In this article, we will learn how to combine two line graphs in Excel. Generally, we need to combine two graphs in one graph paper to show our analysis perfectly. Excel gives us the opportunity to represent our data with different types of graphs. Here, we will use line graphs and try to combine two line graphs in our excel worksheet.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book here.
What Is a Line Graph in Excel?
Line graphs in excel are also known as line charts. It is a built-in excel chart type. The line graphs represent data categories on the horizontal axis and data values on the vertical axis. It can handle more data points than columns or bars charts. There are different types of line graphs in excel. For example, 2-D, 3-D, Stacked Lines, etc.
When Should We Use Line Graphs?
Line graphs are used to represent trends over time (years, months, and days) or categories. Generally, when you have a large dataset that represents some change or nature of a task, we use line graphs to show the trend. Its presentation is simple. So, people can read it easily. You can also use it when you need to handle both positive and negative values. Again, you can use line graphs for comparison.
3 Ways to Combine Two Line Graphs in Excel
To explain the methods, we will use a dataset that contains information about the sales amount of the first six months of Alex and John. We will try to show their sales over these six months using line graphs.
1. Use Copy-Paste Option to Combine Two Line Graphs in Excel
The Copy-Paste option helps us greatly to combine two line graphs. It is a simple and quick method. In this first method, we will first create two graphs from our dataset and then, we will combine them.
Let’s follow the steps below to learn this method.
- In the beginning, select Cell B5 to B11.
- Secondly, press the Ctrl key and select Cell C5 to C11.
- Thirdly, go to the Insert tab and select the Insert Line or Area Chart icon.
- After that, a drop-down menu will occur. Select Line from the drop-down menu.
- Now, you will see a line graph in your worksheet like below.
Here, this graph shows the sales amount of Alex on the Y-axis and the months on the X-axis.
- Next, you need to select the months again. We have selected Cell B5 to B11.
- Press Ctrl and select the sales amount of John. Here, we have selected Cell D5 to D11.
- Follow the previous steps to show John’s line graph.
- After creating the graphs, we will have two separate line graphs in our datasheet.
- Here, to combine these two graphs, select a graph with the mouse.
- To select a graph, put the cursor on the line graph and right-click it. We have selected John’s line graph.
- Go to the Home tab and select Copy.
- Then, select the first graph.
- After selecting the first graph, go to the Home tab again and select Paste.
- Finally, you will see two combined line graphs like below.
- You can change the Chart Title and add Legends to display the graphs properly.
Read More: How to Combine Graphs in Excel (Step-by-Step Guideline)
2. Combine Two Line Graphs in Excel Using Insert Tab
We can use the Insert tab to combine two line graphs in Excel. This method will not combine two separate line graphs. In this method, we will combine two line graphs directly in one graph paper from the dataset.
Let’s pay attention to the steps below to know more.
- In the first place, select the cells that you want to represent with line graphs. We have selected Cell B5 to D11.
- After that, go to the Insert tab and select the Charts dialog icon. It will open the Insert Chart window.
- Now, select All Charts and then, select Combo.
- Make sure the Chart Type is Line.
- Finally, click OK to see results like below.
- To change the title, click on the Chart Title and rename it.
Read More: How to Combine Graphs with Different X Axis in Excel
- How to Combine Two Scatter Plots in Excel (Step by Step Analysis)
- Combine Rows in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Combine Columns into One List in Excel (4 Easy Ways)
- Merge Columns in Excel (4 Ways)
3. Combine a Line with an Existing Line Graph in Excel
In this last method, we will combine a line graph with an existing line graph. To explain this method, we will use a dataset that contains information about Alex’s sales amount over the first six months and we have a line graph of those data points. We will add John’s sales amount to this dataset and then combine the two line graphs.
Let’s observe the steps below to learn this technique.
- Firstly, enter the data of John’s sales amount in your dataset.
- Secondly, go to the existing line graph and right-click on it.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Select ‘Select Data’ from the drop-down menu.
- After that, the ‘Select Data Source’ window will occur.
- Next, you need to select all cells from your dataset including John’s sales amount.
- After selecting all cells, you will see an entry named John in Legend Entries.
- Finally, click OK to see results like below.
- In conclusion, select the graph and a plus icon will appear at the left-top of the graph. You can change or add different items to the graph by clicking the plus icon.
- We have changed the title and added legends to our graph using the plus icon.
Read More: How to Combine Two Bar Graphs in Excel (5 Ways)
Things to Remember
There are different types of graphs in excel. The line graph is often used when the data has text values along X-axis and numeric values along Y-axis. Here, text values mean evenly spaced time labels like days, months, or years. If the data contains only numeric values, then it is better to use scatter graphs.
We have discussed 3 easy and quick methods to combine two line graphs in excel. The Copy-Paste option is the easiest to use. Moreover, we have also demonstrated the way to create line graphs in the first method. You can also use this for multiple line graphs. Furthermore, we have added the practice book at the beginning of the article. You can also download and exercise the practice book. Last of all, if you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to ask in the comment section below.