To indicate statistical significance, or to show differences between data sets on graphs, Excel should have the option to add asterisks to graphs like bar graphs. In this tutorial, you will learn 2 handy ways to add asterisk in Excel graph.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook that we have used to prepare this article.
2 Handy Ways to Add Asterisk in Excel Graph
Let’s first introduce our dataset. We have a table of several fruits items and their respective prices at 3 months, averages, and standard deviation. We have a graph below that shows the standard deviation of different fruits.
Our main goal is to add an asterisk in the graph to show the statistical significance, i.e., we will add an asterisk mark on the column of Lemons that displays the highest standard deviation.
1. Add Asterisk in Graph Using Text Box
Using Text Box, you can easily add asterisks marks on the Excel graph. Just follow the steps below to apply this technique.
- First, go to the Insert tab >> Text >> Text Box. A cursor with the text box will appear.
- Now, put the cursor on the column of Lemons in the graph. At this point, from the keyboard, type the asterisk mark into this text box.
- After that, click anywhere outside of the graph. And you will see the asterisk mark where you wanted to add it.
Read More: How to Use Wildcards in Excel?
2. Use Data Labels
Another technique to add an asterisk in Excel graphs is to use Data Labels. Just follow the steps below to use this simple technique.
- First, type an asterisk mark in any cell in the worksheet (In this example, (*) at B17).
- Now, select the whole graph, then, click on the Plus sign (+) next to the graph. Choose the Data Labels from the Chart Elements. You can see the labels on each column of the graph.
- Now, double-click on the label of a column on which you want to add an asterisk mark. In this example, we will choose the Lemons column’s data label. Put the (=) sign in the formula bar, and select the cell (In this example, B17) that contains the asterisk sign. Finally, press ENTER.
Here is the result that shows the asterisk mark on the column of Lemons in the graph. You can increase the font size of the asterisk mark to display it properly.
In this tutorial, I have discussed 2 handy ways to add asterisk in Excel graph. I hope you found this article helpful. You can visit our website ExcelDemy to learn more Excel-related content. Please, drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.
- Search for Question Mark in Excel (4 Suitable Methods)
- Excel Match Wildcard in Lookup Array (with 3 Formulas)
- How to Find * Character Not as Wildcard in Excel (2 Methods)
- Excel VBA: Delete Files with Wildcards (4 Methods)
- VLOOKUP with Wildcard in Excel (3 Methods)
- SUMIFS with Wildcard in Excel (+ Alternative Formulas)
- How to Use COUNTIF with Wildcard in Excel (7 Easy Ways)