This article illustrates how to make a mileage log in excel. A mileage log is simply the record of mileage driven by a vehicle. Besides, it also contains the dates, purposes, and locations of the trips. A mileage log is necessary for tax deduction purposes. You need to have a mileage log to avoid any risk if audited by the IRS. Follow this article to make a mileage log yourself.
Download Mileage Log Template
You can download the mileage log template from the download button below.
2 Ways to Make a Mileage Log in Excel
1. Make a Mileage Log Using Excel Table
- A mileage log should include the dates, starting and ending locations, purposes of the trips, odometer readings at the beginning and end of the trips, and the trips’ mileage.
- Therefore, enter these labels/headers in cells B4 to H4 respectively as shown in the following picture.
- Now, select the range B4:H10. Then, press CTRL+T to create an Excel Table. Next, check the checkbox for My table has headers. After that, press the OK button.
- Now, enter the necessary information in cells B5 to G5. Then, type the following formula in cell H5. As soon as you press enter, all the cells in the Mileage column will be populated with the formula.
=[@[Odometer End]]-[@[Odometer Start]]
- Finally, enter the following formula in cell H12 to get the total mileage. The SUBTOTAL function in this formula returns the sum of the cells within the specified range.
- Now, you can add more rows in the mileage log table to input more data in the future.
Read More: How to Make Daily Vehicle Mileage and Fuel Report in Excel
2. Make a Mileage Log Using an Excel Template
Alternatively, you can use a mileage log template in excel if you do not have time to make one yourself. Follow the steps below to see how to do that.
- First, open excel. Then click on More Templates as shown in the picture below.
- Next, type Mileage in the search bar for templates. Then press enter or click on the search icon.
- After that, a list of mileage log templates will appear. Now, choose one and click on it.
- Then, a popup window will appear displaying the purpose of the template. Now, click on Create to download the template.
- After that, you can enter your mileage data there as in the earlier method.
Read More: How to Make Vehicle Life Cycle Cost Analysis Spreadsheet in Excel
Things to Remember
- You can filter the mileage log as required, for example, between two particular dates to get the total mileage. The subtotal will return the sum of the filtered cells only.
- You need to multiply the rate of tax deduction per mileage (58.5% in 2022) with the total mileage to get the total deductible tax amount.
Now you know how to make a mileage log in excel. Please let us know if this article has helped you to do that. You can also use the comment section below for further queries or suggestions. Do visit our ExcelDemy blog to explore more excel related howtos to enrich your skills. Stay with us and keep learning.