Excel is a fantastic tool to work with when it comes to data analysis and interpretation. But, when it comes to presenting the data in a glamorous way, Microsoft PowerPoint comes into mind. Now, it is tiring and time-consuming to insert the Excel calculations into PowerPoint again. Rather, you can mail merge Excel to PowerPoint by following some steps. In this article, I will show you the step-by-step guidelines to mail merge Excel to PowerPoint.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download our practice workbooks from here for free!
Steps to Mail Merge from Excel to PowerPoint
Say, you have a dataset containing names, genders, ages, and cities of several employees in an Excel file. Now, you need to make a PowerPoint slide where each employee will contain one slide with their names as heading 1 and other information as heading 2. Now, you can do this by mail merging from Excel to PowerPoint by following the steps below.
📌 Step 1: Prepare Your Excel File
First and foremost, you need to prepare your Excel file in a proper format.
- To do this, open an Excel file and insert your header row named Name, Gender, Age, and City from the top left column of your Excel file.
- Afterward, insert the values in each row according to the column headers.
You must insert your data range from the top left of the Excel file to avoid errors and unwanted data.
📌 Step 2: Mail Merge from Excel into Word Document
Now, you will need to mail merge the Excel into word.
- To do this, first, open a Microsoft Word file.
- Following, go to the Mailings tab >> Start Mail Merge tool >> Normal Word Document option.
- Afterward, go to the Mailings tab again.
- Subsequently, click on the Select Recipients tool >> Use an Existing List… option.
- As a result, the Select Data Source window will appear.
- Following, choose the previously created Excel file named Mail Merge Excel to Powerpoint.xlsx.
- Subsequently, click on the Open button.
- As a result, the Select Table window will appear.
- Following, click on the ‘Mail Merging Excel$’ option and click on the OK button.
- Now, go to the Mailings tab >> Insert Merge Field tool >> Name option.
- As a result, your Name header from the Excel file will be merged here.
- Afterward, repeat this procedure again and again for every individual header (Gender, Age, City) from your Excel file.
- Now, to get the values in the proper format, select the Name header here >> go to the Home tab >> Styles tool >> Heading 1 option.
- Following, for other headers’ formats, select the headers >> go to the Home tab >> Styles tool >> Heading 2 option.
- As a result, your styling is done now.
- Following, go to the Mailings tab >> Preview Results group>> Check for Errors tool.
- Now, the errors will be checked and your file will be ready to finish and merge.
- Next, go to the Mailings tab >> Finish & Merge option >> Edit Individual Documents… option.
- Consequently, the Merge to New Document window will appear.
- Now, choose the option All from the Merge Records options and click on the OK button.
- As a result, the Excel data will be mail merged from Excel to Word. You can see the preview in your word file.
- Following, press Ctrl + S to save the file.
- As a result, the Save As dialogue box will appear.
- Subsequently, write your desired file name in the File name: text box to save as and click on the Save button.
Thus, your Word file will be mail merged from Excel to word and will be ready for insertion into Powerpoint.
- How to Perform Excel to PowerPoint Automation (With Easy Steps)
- Copy Chart from Excel to PowerPoint Without Link
- How to Copy Table from Excel to Powerpoint with Formatting
📌 Step 3: Insert Outline into Powerpoint
Last but not least, you will need to insert the merged Word file into Powerpoint.
- In order to do this, open your PowerPoint file.
- Following, go to the Home tab >> New Slide tool >> Slides from Outline… option.
- Consequently, the Insert Outline window will appear.
- Following, select the word file that you saved before after merging from the Excel file.
- Last but not least, click on the Insert button.
Thus, you will get your PowerPoint mail merged from Excel. And, the result should look like this where the names will be in heading 1 and ages, genders, and cities would be in heading 2 just like you wanted.
So, in this article, I have shown you all steps to mail merge from Excel to PowerPoint. You can also download our free workbook to practice. I hope you find this article helpful and informative. If you have any further queries or recommendations, please feel free to comment here.
And, visit ExcelDemy to learn more things about Excel! Have a nice day! Thank you!