In Microsoft Excel, all the data, calculations, visualization, and analysis are stored either in a single or multiple pages. This page is called an Excel worksheet or sheet. For working or analysis purposes, you have to name the sheets. Also, when you give a cell reference in any formula from another sheet, a specific sheet name helps you to find that particular sheet easily. In this article, I will show you how to determine a sheet name limit in Excel.
How to Determine Sheet Name Limit in Excel: 4 Easy Steps
In this article, you will see four easy steps to determine a sheet name limit in Excel. I will discuss the maximum number of characters that you can use to write the name of an Excel sheet. Let’s move on to the main discussion of this topic.
Step 1: Take Excel Sheet with Required Data
- First, open an Excel file and go to a blank worksheet or sheet with the necessary data like the following image.
Step 2: Name Sheet with Maximum Characters
Next, I will start the naming process and determine how far I can go to name a sheet.
- First of all, place the mouse on the tab-like feature in the lower part of the sheet to change or set the name.
- Then, type the name of the sheet as per your choice with the keyboard.
- Eventually, you will find at one point, you are not able to insert any character after a certain point.
Step 3: Find Limit of Characters
In this step, you will see the maximum number of characters you can give input to write a sheet name.
- From the previous step, the sheet name tab refused to take any more inputs after the last word which was l.
- Now, from the name written in the tab you can see, there are a total of 31 characters that include all the alphabet, spaces, and commas.
- So, from this scenario, you can say, by default, that the number of characters for naming an Excel sheet must be less than or equal to 31.
- If you exceed that limit, Excel will not accept the extra characters as inputs.
Step 4: Give Final Name of Sheet within Character Limit
Finally, after finding the character limit, you have to think of a new name for your worksheet that fulfills your working criteria and remains within the character limit.
- First, decide the name of your worksheet that reflects the summary of your data in that sheet, and remember to finish the name within the above-mentioned character range.
- Next, double-click on the tab then type the name. This time you will be able to insert the full name of your sheet just like the following image if you follow the above-mentioned instructions.
Things to Remember
- If you follow all the rules that I stated above, even then you cannot use the following seven characters while naming an Excel sheet. These characters are \ / * [ ] : ?.
- If you want to rename or change anything on the sheet name, place the cursor on the name tab and right-click on the mouse. After that, utilize the renaming option from the context menu.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel workbook here and practice on your own.
That’s the end of this article. I hope you find this article helpful. After reading the above description, you will be able to determine the sheet name limit in Excel. Please share any further queries or recommendations with us in the comments section below.
We are always concerned about your preferences. Therefore, after commenting, please give us some moments to solve your issues, and we will reply to your queries with the best possible solutions.