This article deals with the excel doughnut chart with multiple rings. A doughnut chart represents the relation of parts to a whole. It can contain multiple data series, and a different doughnut ring represents each data series. The inner-most ring always means the first data series.
What Is a Doughnut Chart?
A doughnut chart represents the relation of parts to a whole. It can contain multiple data series. A different doughnut ring represents each data series. The inner-most ring always means the first data series. Although a doughnut chart can plot multiple data series, it has some limitations. You should avoid using this chart if your dataset has negative values or zeros. Furthermore, you shouldn’t use it if each data series contains more than seven categories.
How to Create a Doughnut Chart with Multiple Rings in Excel: Easy Steps
Follow the steps below to create the doughnut chart with multiple rings.
📌 Step 1: Organize Data
- Assume that you have the following dataset. It contains the quarterly growth of different stores.
📌 Step 2: Insert Doughnut Chart
- Now, click anywhere in the dataset. Then select Insert Pie or Doughnut Chart >> Doughnut from the Insert tab.
- After that, a doughnut chart with multiple rigs will be inserted. Here each ring represents a particular store. The inner-most ring always indicates the first store in the dataset.
- You can click on the Chart Title to rename it as required.
📌 Step 3: Increase Ring Size
- Next, right-click on any doughnut rings and select Format Data Series.
- Then, reduce the Doughnut Hole Size as required.
- After that, you will see the following result.
📌 Step 4: Change Outline
- Now right-click on a doughnut ring and choose the desired outline. Do this for all of the rings.
- After doing so, you will get the following result.
📌 Step 5: Add Data Labels
- Next, click on the doughnut chart to access the Chart Element menu. Then check the Data Labels checkbox to show the data labels.
📌 Step 6: Switch Row/Column
- Now you need to switch the rows and columns to show the growth in each quarter by each doughnut ring.
- Right-click on a doughnut ring and click on Select Data to do that.
- Then select Switch Row/Column and click OK.
- After that, you will get the following result.
📌 Step 7: Change Color & Styles
- Now click on the doughnut chart to access the Chart Design tab. Then select Change Colors and pick the desired color.
- Alternatively, you can change the color of each slice manually. For that, click twice on a doughnut slice to select it. Then right-click to choose the fill color. Do this for all similar slices.
- You can also pick a different chart style form there.
📌 Step 8: Add Ring Indicator
- You must’ve noticed that there is no legend indicating which doughnut ring represents what. Now click on the chart to access the Format tab. Then insert text boxes and arrows to describe the doughnut rings.
- Finally, you will get the following result.
Things to Remember
- You must select the doughnut chart to access the editing tools.
- It would be best if you had a dataset with multiple rows and columns to create a doughnut chart with multiple rings.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the following practice workbook by clicking on the download button.
Now you know how to create an Excel doughnut chart with multiple rings. Do you have any further queries or suggestions? If so, please let us know using the comment section below. Stay with us and keep learning. Goodbye!