While working in Excel, you might get the message that Microsoft Excel is not responding. But why are you getting such a message and what will be the solution to fix the issue? In this instructive session, I’ll explain the issue when Excel is not responding with real-life examples and point out 10 tricks for what you should do to fix the issue.
What Causes Excel Not Responding?
Let’s say you’re working with a large dataset containing thousands of cells. In such a situation, there is a greater possibility to see the Not Responding words with the file name.
Fortunately, this type of issue can be solved automatically when the data would be loaded fully.
But if you’re opening many files at once where a large number of formulas or add-ins are available, you might see the following message.
Sometimes, you may also see the following dialog box showing that The application is not responding.
Several reasons are responsible for why Excel is not responding.
- The old version of Microsoft Office.
- Corrupted file
- Having unnecessary add-ins
- Error in file contents.
However, this type of error might crash your entire output or dataset. Regrettably, if you click on Restart the program or End Process, probably you cannot recover the lost data. Alternatively, if you want to wait until the program is working properly, you may also do that.
But the waiting time is unpredictable. Surely, you do not want to be in such uncertainty.
What You Need to Do When Excel Is Not Responding
In this section, you’re going to see 10 workable solutions to fix when Excel is not responding.
1. Open Excel Program in Safe Mode
The handy way to fix the issue is to run the Excel program in safe mode. Please do the following steps.
- Firstly, go to your Windows search box and type ‘Run’ or something like that, immediately, you’ll see the icon of the Run app. So, click on the app.
- Alternatively, you can press the Windows key + R to open the Run app.
- In the Open box, insert excel.exe /safe and press OK.
Note: Remember, there is a space before the slash(/) symbol.
Eventually, you’ll get a new workbook in safe mode that will work amidst the Excel is unresponsive.
Read More: How to Open Excel in Safe Mode (3 Handy Methods)
2. Use Task Manager When Excel Is Not Responding
Another simple way is to utilize the Task Manager tool when you have opened many files at once as shown in the following screenshot.
- Initially, you have to open the Task Manager tool. For doing this, go to the search bar and type the Task Manager. And, choose the tool.
- Rather you can press CTRL + ALT + Delete and choose the Task Manager option.
Now, you can reduce the pressure by ending the unwanted Excel file.
- Just, select a file and right-click. Then, pick the End task option.
The exclusive feature of the Task Manager is-if you close any file unexpectedly, you can recover it by default. After closing the file, if you open any blank workbook, you’ll get a Document Recovery pane containing the lost file. Also, you have options if the Document Recovery pane is not working properly.
Read More: Excel Not Responding When Opening File (8 Handy Solutions)
3. Check the Latest Update of Microsoft Office
If the above two methods don’t work, you can check the latest update of your Microsoft Office suite.
- To update the version, go to File > Account.
- Next, click over the drop-down list of Update Options. And, choose the Update Now option.
Read More: [Fixed!] Why Is My Excel Formula Not Updating Automatically (8 Solutions)
4. Disable Add-ins When Excel Is Not Responding
Sometimes, you have to use the Add-ins for a specific analysis. However, the unnecessary add-ins are not good for working Excel effectively. So, you can disable the add-ins when Excel is not responding.
- Primarily, go to File > Options.
- In the Excel Options, move the cursor over the Add-ins option and choose the COM Add-ins. Then, press Go.
- Later, uncheck the box before any add-in and press OK.
Read More: [Fixed!] Unable to Open Excel Files Directly by Clicking on the File Icon
5. Clear Rules and Shapes
In some cases, cell rules and specific shapes are responsible for the unresponsiveness of the Excel program. So, clear rules and delete those shapes.
- To clear the cell rule, click Conditional Formatting (in the Home tab) > Clear Rules > Clear Rules from Entire Sheet.
- For deleting any shapes, you need to open the Go To Special by pressing CTRL + G and choosing the Special option.
- Next, check the circle before Objects and press OK.
- Finally, press the Delete key to delete the selected objects.
6. Repair Excel Sheet
When an Excel file contains any corrupted workbook or sheet, you can repair those.
- Go to File > Open
- Select the file and pick the Open ad Repair option to repair the sheet.
7. Repair Microsoft Office
Furthermore, you can modify or repair the Microsoft Office suite if there is an error.
- Just go to Control Panel > Programs.
- Next, click on the Programs and Features.
- Now, right-click on the Office app and you’ll see the Change option in Microsoft 365 and the Repair option in other versions.
Read More: [Fixed!] Excel Attachments Not Opening from Outlook (6 Quick Solutions)
8. Change Default Printer When Excel Is Not Responding
If your PC is connected to a default printer which can happen the unresponsiveness of the Excel program. Because Excel considers the layout or other features of the default printer.
- Just search Printers in the search bar. And chose Printer & scanners setting.
- Uncheck the box before the Let Windows manage my default printer option.
- Click on the Manage button over a selected printer.
- Lastly, press Set as default.
9. Execute Clean Boot When Excel Is Not Responding
Moreover, you may perform cleaning the boot.
- Check the circle before Selective startup and Load system services.
- subsequently, check the box before Hide all Microsoft services and click over the Disable all button.
- Finally, press Apply > OK.
10. Uninstall and Reinstall Excel
The last way is to uninstall and reinstall the Excel program.
- Go to Control Panel > Uninstall Program.
- Right-click over the Microsoft 365 app and choose the Uninstall option.
- Now, you need to reinstall it again.
Read More: [Fixed!] Excel Not Responding When Running Macro (9 Possible Solutions)
This is what you should do when Excel is not responding. I firmly believe this article would be highly beneficial for you. Anyway, don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
- [Fix:] Excel Formula Not Working Returns 0
- [Fixed!] Excel Not Responding When Deleting Rows (4 Possible Solutions)
- Fix Excel Not Responding and Save Your Work
- [Fixed!] Excel Freezes When Copying and Pasting (13 Possible Solutions)
- [Fix:] Excel File Opens but Does Not Display
- How to Fix Excel Not Responding Without Closing (16 Possible Solutions)