In this article, I will show you how to create a tally bill format in Excel from scratch. You can make bill format from Excel Template too. Small businesses can customize those invoice templates from excel, or they can make their own one. These invoices are very easy to create and companies can use these for billing customers for their services.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook that we have used to prepare this article.
Basic Information in Tally Bill
Although tally bills are company-dependent, there is some common information that should be included in a Bill. A tally bill should reflect the details of the business and project you are doing.
For instance, the below information should be included in a tally bill.
- Company logo
- Company name and contact details
- Customer name and contact details
- Bill/Invoice details (Bill issue date, Unique bill ID/No.)
- Due date of the payment
- Description of the service or goods you are providing to the customer (service name, quantity, unit price, etc.)
- List of applicable taxes (CGST, SGST, etc.)
- Subtotals and total amount to be paid by the customer
- Signature of the company authority
- Notes (including any special provision, terms, conditions, etc.)
Create Tally Bill Format in Excel From Scratch
So, let’s see how to create a bill step by step.
Step 1: Create a Bill Header with Company Details
In this section, we will enter company details such as Company Logo, Name, Address, Contact Details, GSTIN No. etc.
Step 2: Add Bill/Invoice Details to Tally Bill Format
Each company follows a certain type of bill/invoice No. Usually, Bill No. is a unique number. Moreover, in this section of the format, you have to enter the Date of Issuance of the bill, the Due Date of the payment, etc.
Step 3: Add Customer’s Details to Tally Bill Format
Now, in this section, we will input the details of the customer. For example, Customer Name, Contact details, GSTIN No. Besides you have to add a unique customer ID in this section.
Step 4: Description of the Items Provided to the Customer
This section is very much important for a bill format. Because, in this section, companies describe the services and goods they are providing to the customer. All the names, prices, quantities of the provided services are provided in this section.
- Labour Contractor Bill Format in Excel (Download Free Template)
- Hotel Bill Format in Excel (Create with Easy Steps)
- Transport Bill Format in Excel (Create in 4 Simple Steps)
- How to Create a Cash Bill Format in Excel (A step-by-step Guideline)
- How to Create Proforma Invoice in Excel (Download Free Template)
Step 5: Add the Subtotal and Total Amount
We can add a subtotal of the goods/services in this section. Besides, if there are any taxes applied to the provided goods/services, then we have to list that amount too.
Basically, in this section, we can use excel formulas and functions to calculate the payable amount. Even using simple multiplication formulas in excel makes the calculation process of the bills easier. For example, in my bill format, I have used the SUM function along with the ROUND function to calculate the total payable amount.
I have entered the below formula:
As a result, the above formula returns the total payable amount in excel.
🔎 How Does the Formula Work?
Here, the SUM function adds all the amounts in the range F25:F27.
Here, the ROUND function rounds the total amount to zero decimal places.
Step 6: Include Comments/Notes/Payment Terms in the Tally Bill Format
If you want to add any payment terms or any instructions about the payment, then you can add those in this section. For example, you may have a late fee policy or conditions related to the provided service warranty. In that case, you can add those things here.
Step 7: Additional Features
- Most of the time companies add the signature of the authorized person in bills.
- Often, companies include concluding messages and brief contact details of the company. If you want you can add that too in your tally bill format.
In the above article, I have tried to discuss the step-by-step procedure to create a tally bill format. Hopefully, these steps and explanations will help you to make your own bill format and customize it accordingly. Please let me know if you have any queries regarding the article.
- Tax Invoice Format in Excel (Download the Free Template)
- Create GST Invoice Format in Excel (Step-by-Step Guideline)
- Excel Invoice Tracker (Format and Usage)
- How to Create a Tally VAT Invoice Format in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- Create Tally Debit Note Format in Excel (With Easy Steps)
- How to Create a Tally Button in Excel (2 Suitable Examples)