This tutorial will demonstrate how to print notes in Excel. In Microsoft Excel 365, we use notes as reminders. The notes in Excel 365 look like sticky notes in our worksheet. In earlier versions of Excel instead of notes, we used comments. By default, Excel disables print notes in our worksheet. This means when we print a worksheet it will not print the notes in it. We have to follow some specific steps to print notes in Excel. We can not access the print option directly from the ribbon.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here.
2 Simple Methods to Print Notes in Excel
Throughout this tutorial, we will discuss 2 simple methods to print notes in Excel. To illustrate the methods we will use the following dataset. The dataset contains the grades and marks of different students. In the dataset, we can see two notes. We will try to print the worksheet with the notes in it.
1. Use Page Setup Option to Print Notes in Excel
In the first method, we will use the Page Setup option to print notes in Excel. We can access this option from the Page Layout tab. There are two ways to print notes using this option.
1.1 Print Notes at the End of Sheet
In this method, we will print notes at the end of the Excel worksheet. Let’s follow the below steps to perform this action.
- To begin with, go to the Page Layout tab.
- In addition, click on the flyout symbol at the bottom right of the Page Setup group.
- The above action will open a new dialogue box named Page Setup.
- Furthermore, select the Sheet tab from the dialogue box.
- Then, go to the ‘Comments and notes’ drop-down. Select the option ‘At end of sheet’ from the list.
- Moreover, click on the Print option.
- The above command will give us a preview like the following image. It shows us how the worksheet will look after printing.
- In the end, scroll down to the end of that sheet. We can see the notes at the end of the worksheet preview.
1.2 Print Notes as They Appear in Worksheet
Here, we will print notes exactly as they appear on the worksheet. It gives us a preview of all notes on the worksheet. Using this we can preview which notes are assigned to which cells. To do this we will follow the below steps.
- Firstly, go to the Page Layout tab.
- Secondly, click the flyout symbol in the Page Setup group’s bottom right corner.
- The following action will bring up the Page Setup dialog box.
- Thirdly, in the dialogue box, pick the Sheet tab.
- Then, click on the ‘Comments and notes’ drop-down. Choose ‘As displayed on sheet (notes only)‘ from the drop-down menu.
- Additionally, select the Print option.
- Lastly, we get a preview of our worksheet like the following image. We can see the notes in the print preview.
2. Utilize Print Preview Option to Print Notes in Excel
In the second method, we will use the Print Preview option to print notes in Excel. Basically, it is a method to access the Page Setup dialogue box differently. After that, we will use that Page Setup dialogue box to print notes like the previous methods. Let’s see the steps to implement this method.
- First, go to the File tab.
- Next, select the Print option.
- Then, scroll down to the bottom and click on the Page Setup option.
- As a result, we get the Page Setup dialogue box.
- Finally, following anyone from the previous two methods we can print notes easily.
In conclusion, this tutorial covers 2 unique ways to print notes in Excel. Use the practice worksheet that comes with this article to put your skills to the test. If you have any questions, please leave a comment in the box below. We’ll do our best to respond as soon as possible. Keep an eye on our website for more interesting Microsoft Excel solutions in the future.