In this article, we will learn to remove notes in Excel. We use notes as reminders in Excel 365. Notes help to announce some important things that make the document more understandable for others. In the earlier versions, we used Comments instead of Notes. Today, we will demonstrate 5 easy methods to remove notes in Excel. You can also use the same methods for deleting comments in the earlier versions of Excel. So, without further delay, let’s start the discussion.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book here.
5 Easy Ways to Remove Notes in Excel
To explain the methods, we will use a dataset that contains information about the working hours & salaries of some employees. It also contains some important notes. We will try to remove the notes using some easy methods.
1. Use Delete Option to Remove Notes in Excel
In the first method, we will use the Delete option to remove notes in Excel. Using this method, you delete both a single note and multiple notes. Let’s follow the steps below to know the whole process.
- To begin with, select a cell in your dataset and press Ctrl + A to select all used cells.
- After that, go to the Review tab and click on Delete from the Comments section.
- Instantly, you will be able to remove all notes.
- To erase a single note, select the cell that contains the note.
- Then, click on the Delete button from the Review tab.
- Alternatively, you can right-click on the cell and select Delete Note from the Context Menu.
2. Delete All Notes with Excel Go To Special Feature
To delete all notes in a worksheet, you can use the Go To Special feature of Excel. This process is straightforward. Here, we use the previous dataset. Let’s pay attention to the steps below to learn the method.
- In the first place, press the F5 key on the keyboard to open the Go To dialog box.
- Secondly, select Special from the Go To dialog box.
- After that, select Notes and click on OK to proceed.
- After clicking OK, the cells with notes will be selected.
- In the following step, right-click on any selected cell and select Delete Note from the Context Menu.
- Finally, you will see results like the picture below.
3. Remove Notes in Excel Using ‘Clear Comments and Notes’ Option
Another way to remove notes in Excel is to use the ‘Clear Comments and Notes’ option. You can apply this method to delete a single note or multiple notes. You can find the ‘Clear Comments and Notes’ option in the Home tab.
- In the beginning, select a cell in the dataset and press Ctrl + A to select all used cells.
- After that, go to the Home tab and select Clear. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Select Clear Comments and Notes from there.
- In the end, all notes will be removed.
- How to Add Notes in Excel (The Ultimate Guide)
- Convert Comments to Notes in Excel (3 Suitable Ways)
- How Do I Stop My Notes from Moving in Excel (2 Useful Methods)
4. Apply Excel VBA to Remove All Notes from a Worksheet
We can also use VBA to remove all notes from a worksheet. VBA allows us to perform many tasks very easily. Once again, we will use the previous dataset.
Follow the steps below to learn the method.
- Firstly, go to the Developer tab and select Visual Basic to open the Visual Basic window.
- Alternatively, you can press Alt + F11 to open it.
- In the second step, select Insert and then, select Module from the drop-down menu. It will open the Module window.
- Now, type the code in the Module window:
Option Explicit Sub Remove_Notes() Cells.ClearComments End Sub
- Then, press Ctrl + S to save the code.
- After that, press the F5 key and Run the code from the Macros window.
- Finally, the notes will be deleted after running the code.
5. Delete Notes from Whole Workbook with Excel VBA
In the previous method, we removed notes from a worksheet. But in this method, we will delete notes from a whole workbook using VBA. So, without any delay, let’s learn the steps.
- First of all, select Visual Basic from the Developer tab in the ribbon. It will open the Visual Basic window.
- In the following step, select Insert and then, select Module.
- After selecting Module, the Module window will occur.
- Now, type the code in the Module window:
Option Explicit Sub Remove_All_Notes() Sheets.Select Cells.Select Selection.ClearComments End Sub
- After that, press Ctrl + S to save the code.
- To run the code, hit the F5 key on the keyboard. A Macros window will appear.
- Select the desired code and click on Run in the Macros window.
- In the end, it will erase all the sheets and erase all notes.
Add ‘Delete Comment’ Button in Excel Quick Access Toolbar
We can add the Delete Comment button in Quick Access Toolbar to remove notes quickly. It saves time and makes the process easier. We can add the Delete Comment button in the Quick Access Toolbar by following a few steps. To learn more, let’s observe the steps below.
- In the first place, click on the Customize Quick Access Toolbar icon and select More Commands from the drop-down menu.
- It will open the Excel Options window.
- Now, select All Commands in the ‘Choose commands from’ section inside the Excel Options window.
- Then, select Delete Comment and click on Add to insert delete notes options in the Quick Access Toolbar.
- After that, click OK to proceed.
- Finally, you will see the ‘Delete Comment’ button in the Quick Access Toolbar.
In this article, we have demonstrated 5 easy methods to Remove Notes in Excel. I hope these methods will help you to perform your tasks easily. Moreover, you can use the same methods to delete comments. Furthermore, we have also added the practice book at the beginning of the article. To test your skills, you can download it to exercise. Visit the ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Last of all, if you have any suggestions or queries, feel free to ask in the comment section below.